Cats are funny

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittish

Enthusiastic Newbie
Reaction score
My Bittle Kittle has herself a grasshopper! And she is not. Gonna. Share. Funny watching her playing with it, and how jealously she guards it from Mister Fluffy and Sugar. She's carrying it around right now, doing her "successful hunt" meow. That's about the only kind of insect she really gets into to that extent. They all like to chase and eat the flutteries that get inside, but Bittle doesn't get anything like as intent about those as she is about this grasshopper.

I once had the most willful, stubborn, attitudinal cat who couldn't catch anything except a bird with deformed wings, and butterflies. Tried to save them, and she got mad. Whenever I saw her with a butterfly and walked towards her - she'd sit on it then glare at me.

They are better than TV, right? My cats don't get to go outside. When a bug does get inside :headbanging:it's on like Donkey Kong! I love to hear them "chatter" looking out a window at birds/squrriels.

They are better than TV, right? My cats don't get to go outside. When a bug does get inside :headbanging:it's on like Donkey Kong! I love to hear them "chatter" looking out a window at birds/squrriels.

My cats are indoor only, too. Far too dangerous around here to let a cat wander outside. Coyotes are always hungry.

Mine don't chatter too much when they're looking out windows. Got birds and lizards and bunnies that they like to watch.

When I go outside at night, when I come back in both cats are watching intently, looking for flutteries that might have followed me in. Mister Kitteh also sometimes chides me for not providing enough of them for them to chase and eat.

Wow! I never have had to worry about coyotes! And sadly, we don't have fireflies in my area but sounds like great fun!

Er... no fireflies here either. The flutteries I'm talking about are little moths that flock to porch lights after dark. SO and I are both third shift people, so I'm up all night every night. I also smoke, but not inside the house. So, every couple of hours I go outside for smoke, and since I turn on the porch light ('cause it gets dark out where we live) it draws in fluttery things. Some of which almost always get into the house when I go back inside. Much to the delight of our furry monsters. :)

Oh sorry. Thought you said fireflies.. thought that would be crazy fun with cats! Idk if it's just me but never see fireflies anymore. I was amazed by them when I visited west Virginia as a kid. Maybe they only live in cooler climates? My husband and I saw some a few years ago at Biltmore. Maybe a cooler mountain insect? The kittens would go nuts! Flying glowsticks!

Had fireflies most of the places I grew up, Arkansas and North-central Texas, but never had pets as a kid. Yea, I bet a cat would be fascinated by them. It was really neat to watch them rising from the grass as evening fell.

Oh sorry. Thought you said fireflies.. thought that would be crazy fun with cats! Idk if it's just me but never see fireflies anymore. I was amazed by them when I visited west Virginia as a kid. Maybe they only live in cooler climates? My husband and I saw some a few years ago at Biltmore. Maybe a cooler mountain insect? The kittens would go nuts! Flying glowsticks!

Lightening bugs are supposed to love warm humid weather, so I think it has less to do with cold climates, but more to do with the season heating up that encourages them to come out. Also mating season is part of it, which apparently is triggered by warming temperatures. But as with many critters, the wetness of the preceding seasons also have impact on the size of the population. We see them here every year, but sometimes they come earlier, and sometimes later. And only for two or three weeks, then they are gone again. If I am off on a roadtrip, I can miss them altogether, although I do often get to see them somewhere else along the way. They live on virtually every continent of the earth that has some humidity.

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/weather/2017/05/22/fireflies-weather/

http://www.firefly.org/facts-about-fireflies.html

Latest posts

Back