Plagiarism and swiftcraft monkey blog

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She must have known that it is wrong when she was doing it though, that's what gets me.

Of course she did and would still be doing it, if she wasn't caught out. I wonder just how long this has been going on. I remember seeing her name years ago connected with teaching soaping etc.

I just hope it doesn't involve writing anything!

While I certainly don't wish bad on her, I do think that the "you are your own person and you can do anything you choose to do" ethos is often taken too literally and too far, resulting in people doing things that they really have no ability for which means that they cut corners (or copy and paste) to make up for the shortfall in actually skills.

Even if she is a good soaper, that does not mean that write books or even blog well about soaping.

You know, we were taught to work hard and do our very best work every time. To take pride in our work. To learn from failure or even just imperfections and do better the next time. That is how you improve. That is how I taught my children. Something is missing from people's upbringing that they think plagiarism is OK. We knew it was stealing.

You know, we were taught to work hard and do our very best work every time. To take pride in our work. To learn from failure or even just imperfections and do better the next time. That is how you improve. That is how I taught my children. Something is missing from people's upbringing that they think plagiarism is OK. We knew it was stealing.

Trouble is people dont see it as stealing - anymore than copying soap designs, images, names or designs.

And thats the reason why Disney and Marvel etc get Etsy sellers taken down for breaching their copyright!

Content from my website has been plagiarized a lot over the years. I used to get really angry about it and unloaded my frustrations on few eBay sellers. Pretty much all of them were bewildered that I'd be bothered and that just fed my frustration at first. After thinking about it quite awhile, I finally decided to explain matters with a copyright reminder on my website and then let it go. I don't remotely believe this has stopped the plagiarization, but at least the info is there for people to learn, should they be so inclined. And it makes me feel better. :) The reminder says:

"The material on the XXX website is copyrighted. This means this website is our intellectual property, and we retain ownership of all content on this website. You are welcome to use our work for personal, research, or educational purposes, as long as you do not sell our work for your personal gain or present our words to others as if they are your own. If you want to quote our words in any published work -- including but not limited to an eBay or other auction listing, for-sale ad, magazine article, book, or school report or term paper -- keep the quote BRIEF (2-3 sentences) and include a clear reference to the source of the quote. For example:

"The material quoted above comes from XXX at http://XXX.com"

Oh dear. Um, thanks for pointing that out, Gent. Obviously I didn't think that one through very well! :mrgreen: But it's a good, harmless chuckle, so I'll leave it as-is.

Susan sets a good example for us all to follow. Hear, hear!

Hope she's using her own literature, learning material this time. Obviously the college didn't have a huge issue with what she did. Unless she had to prove she wrote it all. Which I highly doubt.

I see she is still selling soap and various soap & bath & body type products on ebay, but her account on Etsy says she is on a 'short break'.

She has over 200 listings for sale on ebay, and 5 of those are eBooks. Also of interest is that her soap labels on pictured soaps for sale have an inactive web address for her business. Is that even allowed within the rules for selling products in Australia? - the defunct web address on the label?

Could the eBooks she is selling contain plagerized materials even now? I'm not going to order any to find out, of course, but given her track record, I consider them suspect.

I do see that her own blogspot blog has been deleted and her soapconscious website is no longer active (hasn't renewed her contract, I suppose.)

Back