Recipe wanted to remover silicon glue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PerthMobility

Reaction score
I need a soap recipe, please that will easily remove silicon adhesive such as is used in adhesive wound dressings such as "Elastoplast" and "Band Aid". I suspect that as silicon has a fairly high pH, that I need to make a soap that tends towards the low pH or the slightly acidic end of the soap scale.

But, I could be quite wrong in these assumptions. Your thoughts and ideas, please.

I usually use a cotton ball soaked in mineral oil to get that gunk off of my skin. I have found it works well and is far more gentle than soaps or alcohol. I'm pretty sure mineral oil doesn't saponify, so I don't think it would be useful in soap, unless it was just a tiny amount as a SF? Sorry this isn't what you are looking for, but if it saves you from the extra work of making a special soap, it may end up being helpful.

For silicone sealant (like for bathtubs or aquariums) I would use acetone or nail polish remover. But for sticky bandages, any oil will work.

Try some vinegar, I was just reading it helps remove wood glue, it did help, I soaked a cloth and left it on the area for 30 minutes. Might work for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back