Natural colorants for melts/tarts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layserbrat

Reaction score
I know you cannot use herbs to color candles because they will clog the wicks, but has anyone ever tried to color wax melts/tarts with herb powder?:confused:

I have. I actually used an oil herbal infusion to get the colorant and then mixed that with my wax. Since I only used soy wax, I used soy oil for the infusion. To get a nice non-pastel color, you have to infuse the oil a few times.

I haven't but it's an interesting idea. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't think herbal powders would disperse well in wax.

eta: I see while I was typing Genny had already replied. This would be fun to try.

Have you ever used Flutter Dyes? Not much info out there, but some sites say they are phthalate-free, petroleum/paraffin-free, and bee free with a natural base. wonder if it is just hype....

Have you ever used Flutter Dyes? Not much info out there, but some sites say they are phthalate-free, petroleum/paraffin-free, and bee free with a natural base. wonder if it is just hype....

I have. They work okay.

I did question candle cocoon about what was in them, because I was wondering what they considered "natural".

The response was this:
"Our Flutter Dyes are made from the highest quality ingredients. The dye base is 100% all natural."

:roll:

It is an old topic but to check for an update. Did you get some nice colors infusing or just mixing herb powder? If yes, what did you use? I am about to try some paprika, turmeric, rosehips.

I tried with hibiscus and paprika. No effect. I don' t have a crock pot though. I cooked it in a double boiler for 2 hours, maybe the time us not enough but it seems that the efforts involved are not worth it. Tried elderberry too, same results.

Interesting question as I'm about to jump into wax melts myself!

What about infusing natural dyes like annatto, alkanet, madder, rattanjot, etc? However, I do vaguely remember from my wool-dyeing past that some might need either acid or base (like lye) to bring out/keep color...

Every fall I make comfrey soap and healing balms with fresh comfrey leaves infused in coconut oil over the summer. Infused comfrey makes a dull green oil, so that might work. Other strong green leaves like plantains and violet leaves also work, having also infused them for soaps and healing balms.

The problem with natural colorants in soap is that they fade over time. But it might not be a problem with wax melts since I assume they aren't kept around as long as soap?

Here are two blogposts I had saved in my soaping files on infusing herbs in oil: http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/07/color-soap-naturally-infusing-oil-with-herbs-and-spices/
http://www.lovinsoap.com/2011/07/color-soap-naturally-coloring-soap-with-natural-colorant-infusions/http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Latest posts

Back