How to make lotion scent last for 8hrs?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zndomination

Reaction score
Hi soapers. Im quite new with the soap making lotion world. i made a simple lotion using coconut oil, emulsifier and water. i added lemongrass essential oil but it doesnt really last very long... kinda like 5mins max...what am i missing to make the scent much much longer..? possible a scent that last all day?

thanks soapies:)

I would say that you just got used to the scent. Others can probably detect the scent on you after you can't smell it. Here is a link to Bramble Berry's Fragrance calculator. Plug in the product and the total weight along with the essential oil or fragrance oil and you can find out the maximum safe amount to use.

http://www.brambleberry.com/Pages/Fragrance-Calculator.aspx

hmm...we did go over 3x the amount on the calculator... still we have problems retaining the scent on the skin for very long:c

Be very careful of going over the recommended percentage. Fragrance and eo's can and will burn the skin. Aside from that there is a limit of the percenatage lotion can hold before it seperates or starts leaking out. For an example we have one lotion formula that can only hold 2% fragrance and one that can hold up to 4%. Also lotion is not used to replace perfume. Even alcohol free solid perfumes do not necessarily hold for hrs.

Essential oils do not last like fragrance oils. They are very volatile and evaporate quickly - especially 'top' notes. Lemongrass is a top to middle note so is not a long-lasting EO.

Last edited:
Back