Help with Lip Gloss

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeramian

Reaction score
I want to make a natural lipgloss with color. And I can't find any books that can help. Do any of you know of a good starting point?

I make my own natural lip balm from oils, butters, and wax. You can make your own also, then add lip color and flavors as you like. There are also bases you can purchase.

My favorite recipe for summer(needs to be harder if you are going to carry it in your pocket) is this:

14 gm beeswax
7 gm coconut oil(76 degree)
8 gm shea butter
6 gm lanolin
14 gm almond oil
1 Vit E capsule squeezed out

Winter recipe is this with 3-4 gm almond or olive oil added.

Susie - would you happen to have a ready swap out for the lanolin in the recipe? Like Booko, alas allergies.

I am also thinking how to color my lip balms naturally. I was wondering about herbal/ flower powders or infusing the colorant in the oil. I am thinking of elderberry with colors in purple, tagetes which is used as a food colorant, tumeric, paprika, hibiscus. Anyone who has used any of the above, and how exactly did you use them?

Susie - would you happen to have a ready swap out for the lanolin in the recipe? Like Booko, alas allergies.

Just leave the lanolin out. It is strictly because I adore the shine and slipperiness it gives.

Oh, and just checked that link. Sounds like a good recipe. Just be aware that it will make 21-24 standard(0.15 oz) lip balm tubes at the size of recipe it is now.

I don't color my lip balms, but I do infuse paprika and annato into olive oil or almond oil for soap colorants. It should be no different with lip balm. Just substitute out the infused oil for whatever liquid oil your recipe calls for.

Last edited:
Susie , have you used sunflower oil for infusions in soaps or have you used it in balms. Can I use refined sunflower as the cold pressed one has a very distinct smell and not a very long shelf life? I read somewhere sunflower is good for lip balms but they never say which one- refined or not.

I am drying all herbs for infusion now!!!!

I have never used sunflower oil as I would have to order it off the internet. It is just not available to me here. Sorry.

But if it has a short shelf life, and you are not planning to sell it, you could always make small batches(no more than 6-7 tubes), and store your lip balms in the refrigerator until you need one.

Latest posts

Back