Mom needs help. . . .

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Refreshing to see people suggest discovery before treatment!

I love good soap as much as the next person, but a pH 10 mixture of some different chemicals is probably not indicated just yet. Natural does not mean gentle. If you were the dirt you would see soap differently. :p

With all due respect, I think we should be recommending the situation be assessed in person by a medical person, medications evaluated, and so forth before giving specific medical advice or recommending medication.

Cortisone can be really useful in difficult skin conditions, but it can also cause thinning of the skin, become difficult to stop using, CAUSE a rash or have no benefit at all, depending what is going on. (speaking as an ex-pharmacy tech).

I vote for the suggestions to see a doctor ASAP and to use a mild soap or cleanser (or just water) in the meantime to avoid further irritation. Once it's determined what is going on, the advice for soap options will be much more useful, I think, because it can address what is happening so much better.

Well...I AM a medical person, but I am not a doctor and you are correct. If it is bad, she should seek out medical advice from a qualified physician. I am speaking to what has worked for me by purchasing a cheap over the counter tube of 1% hydrocortisone, which is sold specifically for itch and RASH relief, so no medical advice given here. It cleared my eczema up really quickly. I had no difficulty in stopping the use of it and for the very short term I used it, for quick relief...I don't think it caused any thinning of my skin. Thank you for your input.

Wrong, wrong you have no idea if it is allergy, cortisone is not safe and should be used only when needed.. eh:(

I am assuming that anyone who uses it, uses it "only when needed". I suppose that if it is not safe for short term use then all of the stores who sell it over the counter should clear their shelves. I suppose that if it were not safe to use, the 1% would be a prescribed medication. I am speaking of 1% OTC hydrocortisone, not the heavy duty stuff that one can only get a prescription for, sheesh. I am sure the OP is an intelligent person and can make a decision as to if she should mention any of the suggestions on this post to her mom. After all, she did ask for help. I would think she would be wise enough to decide who to "listen" to. Also, if it should happen to be an allergy, the 1% OTC cortisone would NOT cause her any harm if she put some on. Ridiculous!

Edited to add...my grandson has allergic dermatitis and my daughter used some on his rash until she could get to the doctor and it really helped. He had no problems with the use. The doctor did not tell my daughter not to use it.

Last edited:
Your mom should see Dr, as Internet forums are not meant for sharing of medical advice.
If you want to use something over the counter you may, but you may not get good results, it's better that Dr has a look at it and prescribes something stronger if needed.
As for the Clinique, I used their 3-step cleaning stuff ages ago and although it's meant to be gentle it's very annoying to skin for some reason. That toner, it's meant to be mild but contains alcohol. Moisturiser is just very basic moisturising lotion that hasn't had it's recipe changed in decades. It's blah, overpriced and overhyped.
My face sometimes developes rash, usually in winter from cold and summer from sun. I use prescription cream to treat it briefly and otherwise jut stick to my normal cleaning rutine. I use plain, well aged (almost 1yr old), unscented lard/OO/castor oil soap. No makeup (flares up rash), no alcohol toners and after wash I just apply mild fragrance free moisturiser that contains sunscreen (it's a must in Australia even in winter). I don't smoke, don't drink and I guess have good genes because I always get commented on how young I look. :)
I just started working and meet lots of people (at the hospital), many of them think I just finished high school. I'm in my mid 30s. :D

cici sorry but I know what it is, they covered me in it for years and I got the shots too, same name, not used anymore. I do agree that it helps when the allergy is involved but should not be used lightly. I do respect your medical training but Hydrocortisone does not clear eczema. Allergic dermatatis is the one it should be used, but for short time. 55 years of living with it, gave me a lot of knowledge about skin conditions. I do not like that it is so easily obtained here. In Europe it was always on doc prescription. I do not know how is now, beaing out of old country for 25 years. One percent is weak I agree:)

Well...I AM a medical person, but I am not a doctor and you are correct. If it is bad, she should seek out medical advice from a qualified physician. I am speaking to what has worked for me by purchasing a cheap over the counter tube of 1% hydrocortisone, which is sold specifically for itch and RASH relief, so no medical advice given here. It cleared my eczema up really quickly. I had no difficulty in stopping the use of it and for the very short term I used it, for quick relief...I don't think it caused any thinning of my skin. Thank you for your input.

What sort of medical person would be ok with anecdotal advise based on extremely limited information and no knowledge of the case vs going to see a doctor? And would suggest any topical lotion prior to assessment and diagnosis? You said "get a tube of hydrocortisone. That should clear it up quickly" No reference to personal experience, medical training, or the like. To my thinking, that's medical advice of the sort that is best not indulged in on forums (or at least not heeded).

My tube of cortisone says "temporary relief of minor skin irritations" and while I have lost the insert, it contains warnings that include a time limit for applications (3 times daily max, for max 7 days). While it does list specific skin conditions, one would need to know it was in fact eczema, a reaction to jewellry, etc in order to adequately ascertain proper useage.

Sorry, I don't find your rationale compelling, and as someone else mentioned, facial 'rashes' can signify other issues. Now...getting the OP's mom to actually GO to a doctor sounds like it might be a bigger initial hurdle ;)

I don't want to argue the point further, since the OP has chimed in that a visit to the dr is on the books, and that's what matters most, but having worked in a pharmacy for some years, I know I wouldn't be comfortable advising a treatment based on what we know in this situation (vs, for instance, something specific like "I fell into poison ivy, what would you suggest")....nevermind that unless you are a licenced pharmacist, it is actually illegal to recommend medication as a pharmacy tech here. Perhaps it's different where you live, but I've been trained to avoid doing so.

Thanks all. I have suggested she see a doctor. . .she is stubborn though, so will see if she actually does it!!

Also will give her a bar of my oats soap and tell her to try that or nothing but water for a while.

Good luck! Nothing as stubborn as Mom, no matter how old we get, hey? I hope it clears up and you don't need to resort to hogtying her and blindfolding her to get her in the clinic ;)

I am an RN. It is outside of my scope of practice to diagnose any condition or prescribe any treatment for any condition. It IS, however, within my scope of practice to warn someone that the symptoms they are describing to me could indicate a serious condition, and recommend they see their physician.

Now, if YOUR scope of practice includes you being able to diagnose and prescribe, then YOU go right ahead, CiCi.

What sort of medical person would be ok with anecdotal advise based on extremely limited information and no knowledge of the case vs going to see a doctor? And would suggest any topical lotion prior to assessment and diagnosis? You said "get a tube of hydrocortisone. That should clear it up quickly" No reference to personal experience, medical training, or the like. To my thinking, that's medical advice of the sort that is best not indulged in on forums (or at least not heeded).

My tube of cortisone says "temporary relief of minor skin irritations" and while I have lost the insert, it contains warnings that include a time limit for applications (3 times daily max, for max 7 days). While it does list specific skin conditions, one would need to know it was in fact eczema, a reaction to jewellry, etc in order to adequately ascertain proper useage.

Sorry, I don't find your rationale compelling, and as someone else mentioned, facial 'rashes' can signify other issues. Now...getting the OP's mom to actually GO to a doctor sounds like it might be a bigger initial hurdle ;)

I don't want to argue the point further, since the OP has chimed in that a visit to the dr is on the books, and that's what matters most, but having worked in a pharmacy for some years, I know I wouldn't be comfortable advising a treatment based on what we know in this situation (vs, for instance, something specific like "I fell into poison ivy, what would you suggest")....nevermind that unless you are a licenced pharmacist, it is actually illegal to recommend medication as a pharmacy tech here. Perhaps it's different where you live, but I've been trained to avoid doing so.

Oh give it a rest and get over yourself. Everyone else had moved on. I can't believe all of this crap, making a big deal over a tube of over the counter cream that people buy and use, everyday. I guess you would go ape over a suggestion given to someone to take some Tylenol, which can blow out the liver in a matter of hours, if too much is taken. Headaches and other aches can signify something major, as well, but do you think anyone would have gone ape crap over the top, as you did, if it was suggested? I guess a bit of OTC 1% hydrocortisone would have caused a huge problem for OPs mom, if she simply tried it? Evidently the OP didn't find it necessary to pass on anything any of us have said, so I think you are a simply a pot stirrer and I have no further time for people like you.

cici sorry but I know what it is, they covered me in it for years and I got the shots too, same name, not used anymore. I do agree that it helps when the allergy is involved but should not be used lightly. I do respect your medical training but Hydrocortisone does not clear eczema. Allergic dermatatis is the one it should be used, but for short time. 55 years of living with it, gave me a lot of knowledge about skin conditions. I do not like that it is so easily obtained here. In Europe it was always on doc prescription. I do not know how is now, beaing out of old country for 25 years. One percent is weak I agree:)

It worked well for me when I had eczema on my hands. Cleared it up really quick. The itching just about drove me crazy. So sorry you have those issues and for so long. Feel better soon.

Now, if YOUR scope of practice includes you being able to diagnose and prescribe, then YOU go right ahead, CiCi.

No, Susie, it does not. Degreed in Health Science (Research), School of Medicine. What I made was a suggestion. It was OPs choice to pay attention to it, or not. She chose not to. Can we move on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back