Mold Lining

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christan00

Reaction score
Recently, I read somewhere on the Internet that this lady used a damp linen cloth as a mold lining to save time on folding freezer paper. What a good idea! Of course, I had to try but I failed.

After pouring my soap batter into the mold, I noticed there was about 1 tbsp of oil leaked out in the 1st hour. I didn't change any other way of making my soap. Where was the oil coming from? Will my soap have high PH from the missing oil? My soaps were never greasy when I took them out of the mold before.

If you want to try, start with a small batch.

I don't know for sure what the proper technique is but I would guess that a thicker cloth or several layers of a thinner cloth might help. Not sure, though.

It was a 84oz batch with 3% lye discount.

So, it sounds like damp linen/cloth IS doable, right? I used muslin cloth and thought it was thick enough. I will experiment more and let you guys know how it is :)

I've use a damp 100% cotton flour sack to line my slab mold many times and with success. I poured at medium trace.

I did not know they still put flour in cloth sacks. That is pretty fine cloth then, right? My grandma used to make dresses for her daughters from flour sacks.

You do not worry about folding this cloth do you? How do you fit it into the mold?

Thanks!

Scooter

I did not know they still put flour in cloth sacks. That is pretty fine cloth then, right? My grandma used to make dresses for her daughters from flour sacks.

You do not worry about folding this cloth do you? How do you fit it into the mold?

Thanks!

Scooter

I just tucked the corners in place.

Latest posts

Back