ISO: Good Coffee and Chocolate FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I want a good, true, rich coffee scent that sticks. If at all possible, I want it to smell like dark roast coffee. Also, a good chocolate FO. I have been sorely disappointed by the chocolate FO from WSP. It lacks that sharp edge (bitter, maybe?) that good chocolate has.

I've only used this- SOS Arabic Coffee. It's actually pretty good immediately however, and I don't know if it was because how I stored it, the scent faded after about 6-12 months. I haven't tested another bar to see if it's still there. I also cannot tell you if it accelerates but it definitely discolors.

I have not found a good chocolatey scent that doesn't smell like tootsie rolls... Mmmm, tootsie rolls...

I tried a few coffee FO's and man, some of them are just terrible. BB's Espresso is the only one that has come close. I still get a whiff of hazelnut with it, but it's the best coffee FO I've found. Their Turkish MOcha is good as well, if you don't mind the mocha part.

I haven't found a chocolate I like really well but I haven't been looking very hard.

Thank you so much!

However, I wish BB would label whether their FOs are phthalate free or not. Some say it, some don't. I hate trying to buy FOs from companies that do not clearly say one way or the other.

They are pretty good about responding to emails, and during the day they have a live chat, so you could maybe get an answer to that. Maybe call them or at Otion.

I wish I could help more. :/ SOS I know sells FOs that are phthalate-free but given where you reside, I also wish I knew who else carries a coffee or chocolate FO who is a wee bit closer to you. It would be a fun project if I wasn't in my predicament.

I like wsp espresso. Haven't tried a lot of others, but this one was good.
Also, wsp cardamom mocha smells amazing, but I haven't used it in soap and ifra for that one is lower, around 3%.

I've only used BB espresso so far, and found it to be quite mocha in soap. It's nice, but wish if were more chocolate. Sticks pretty well at six months.

If it's not for selling and cost isn't an issue, I'd recommend straight coffee EO. I tried 3-4 of coffee FO for beard balm/beard oil and none that I have sampled really compared to the real thing. I have not tried it in soap though.

Coffee EO is very expensive mind you and I would not use it in a normal batch (maybe try a small 2-3 bar batch).

I have not tried mixing coffee EO with a FO (to cut costs somewhat), but plan to in the future.

BB Rich Dark Chocolate smells like chocolate cake. I've used it in wax melts and soap and it's awesome.
Candlescience Chocolate Fudge smells exactly like a delicious can of chocolate fudge frosting. If you love that smell, you'll love this FO. It reminds me of being a kid and licking the spoon.

Back