Need to make a switch...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How thick is this? I might well give it a go, but wondering if it would go in a spritz bottle

I initially had it in a spritz bottle, but kept having issues with the nozzle getting plugged up. I surmised it was the baking soda, but it may have been the aloe vera gel (or combination), which is why I switched to a roll-on bottle. I haven't tried it in a spritz bottle since I've started blasting it with the mini-mixer (it's much smoother now), but the consistency is very watery and it may well work. Actually, the consistency is so watery that's why I've been playing with guar gum to thicken it slightly!

I like it because on the rare occasion I've added too much baking soda, it's easy to dilute a little with equal parts of the 3 liquids.

Animara what Benonite clay suppose to do for you in deo?

It's said to allow you to be drier when using a deodorant and it also is said to draw out impurities

Be aware that clay often contains lead, which can be absorbed through the skin. I have no idea if there is a "safe" amount that can be applied to skin or not, I didn't research further.

I bought some from BB and was going to use the clay but my sister talked me out of it. I will use my kaolin instead. I'm still using zinc oxide in place of baking soda. I can't use that stuff even at less than a tsp. I'm not putting my child through that. Thanks for the head's up about lead. I should be more thorough.

It's said to allow you to be drier when using a deodorant and it also is said to draw out impurities

I bought some from BB and was going to use the clay but my sister talked me out of it. I will use my kaolin instead. I'm still using zinc oxide in place of baking soda. I can't use that stuff even at less than a tsp. I'm not putting my child through that. Thanks for the head's up about lead. I should be more thorough.

You're welcome. Sorry I don't have more precise info to share with you. We have a child too, and since cursory research showed that nearly all samples of clay contained measurable amounts of lead, I just gave up on clays. Even the clay toothpastes (such as Earthpaste) have a warning label on the package about lead. I'm just not convinced that the "powers that be" can definitively state what a safe amount of lead exposure is for a child.

Kaolin white is the one that is suitable under the arms, and it is fro sensitive skin, when benonite does tend to dry skin, Kaolin draws out impurities too. Lenarenee they are from China lead is in everything

I know of some people who swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant (an OTC anti-acid liquid for soothing tummy upset). They say they just put it in a roller bottle and apply it to their underarms. Those that have tried it says it works better than anything they've used so far. I've often thought about trying it out myself, but I haven't done so yet. First, I need to put to use the ingredients I bought over the fall/winter to make my own deodorant after we were all discussing it in this awesome deodorant thread here back in the fall. This is the recipe I came up with to try out:

Propanadiol 60%
Water 26.5%
Sodium Stearate 6.5%
Caprol Micro Express 3% (from LotionCrafter's)
Saccharomyces Ferment 2.5% (from Brambleberry)
Fragrance 1%
Liquid Germall Plus .5%

IrishLass :)

I've been nibbling gently at the edges of my deodorant making project whenever I think about it. IL is trying the Saccharomyces ferment, and I'm interested in the other common alternative of using an extract of hops. I purchased some hops CO2 extract recently and did some research on how to use it in a deodorant formulation. I also researched the process of making zinc ricinoleate and decided it's going to be way easier to buy the stuff or omit it rather than make it. It does seem to be an effective odor absorbent according to the research studies I read, so it's worth consideration.

I know of some people who swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant (an OTC anti-acid liquid for soothing tummy upset). They say they just put it in a roller bottle and apply it to their underarms. Those that have tried it says it works better than anything they've used so far. I've often thought about trying it out myself, but I haven't done so yet.

My grandma uses milk of magnesia exclusively. She has since I can remember. She just puts it in a little spray bottle and does one or two spritz a day. She never has any stains on her clothing and she never smells.

When I was little and starting to stink, she would put some one me. I hated how it felt but it eventually dried and was pretty effective at keeping the stink away. It's not an antiperspirant though. I bet it would be great in a roll on bottle with some FO/EO for light scent.

I might try it next.

I tried the new toms deodorant (long lasting apricot scent) and it literally burned my pits. I peeled twice and couldn't wear deodorant for 2 weeks. I've never had a problem with any other commercial deodorant. I just wanted to try something more "natural". It looks like some other people also had the same reaction and it seems to be coming from the ingredient zinc ricinoleate. I went back to my old deodorant/antiperspirant. I just want regular deodorant and they don't even sell that for women. I don't need antiperspirant since I don't sweat that much and if I do, it's cause it's super hot and it helps cool me down anyway. Men have many options for just deodorant. It kinda sucks.

Kaolin white is the one that is suitable under the arms, and it is fro sensitive skin, when benonite does tend to dry skin, Kaolin draws out impurities too. Lenarenee they are from China lead is in everything

I've used bentonite clay in a deodorant before. It was actually nice and it kept me dry for way longer than Tom's of Maine ever could or would since I'm still using it.

Teresa -- I have to say I'd rather eat soap, given my druthers. You're a hoot!

I am so glad I popped on the forum for a few minutes and saw that line because it made me laugh. I was having a tough time at work just at that moment and needed something to cheer me up. That laugh lasted me the rest of the afternoon and that mountain of envelopes I was plowing through didn't seem so daunting after that. So, thanks for cheering me up.

(Sorry to hijack the thread. Yet again...)

Pit paste, but the kind without baking soda! I do put an EO blend with Almond oil and about 3% tea tree/lemon oil before to kill any bacteria. I don't know if it works without, I tried the baking soda kind and got horribly irritated pits, so I was using the EO blend to help soothe it. The pit paste does seem to help with anti-perspirant.

I know of some people who swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant (an OTC anti-acid liquid for soothing tummy upset). They say they just put it in a roller bottle and apply it to their underarms. Those that have tried it says it works better than anything they've used so far. I've often thought about trying it out myself, but I haven't done so yet.

My grandma uses milk of magnesia exclusively. She has since I can remember. She just puts it in a little spray bottle and does one or two spritz a day. She never has any stains on her clothing and she never smells.

When I was little and starting to stink, she would put some one me. I hated how it felt but it eventually dried and was pretty effective at keeping the stink away. It's not an antiperspirant though. I bet it would be great in a roll on bottle with some FO/EO for light scent.

I might try it next.
Just an update...since reading this, I decided to give M.O.M. a try, and I have to say, it's been working great. Not quite as convenient as a stick or roll on, and you do have to wait for it to dry, but it's been hot and muggy around here, and I just stuck my nose in my armpit and...nothin'! :thumbup: So far, no irritation either. Now, I'm looking for a little squeeze bottle to put it in, to make it a bit more convenient than trying to pour out just enough from the big bottle. So if you've been wanting to give it a try, and wondering if it really works, I'd say go for it.

I stink. I'm not gonna lie or mince words about it. I don't think a home made deodorant could cure what stinks me. I alternate between Suave (which actually works well for being so cheap) and Degree (another inexpensive brand). The only reason I alternate is because of fragrance. I've tried expensive brands and 24 hour brands and other stuff to no avail. Suave is my go to brand and Degree is my "when the store is out of Suave or I just need a different smell." One of the things I've noticed is that when I use it at night, before bed, I get a better-lasting protection than using it in the morning after my shower. The clinical strength products recommend you use them at night so your body heat will help the product plug up the stink glands (no, that's not really what it says, that' my interpretation). Regular deodorant seems to do a similar job at a cheaper price. But at the end of the day, I still stink. The dogs don't mind and I don't care. So all is good in my world. Especially since I don't walk around with my arms in the air.

Yeah. Another unhelpful post from yours truly...

your post is too funny.

have any of you tried a pit detox? while i wasn't sure i wanted to use bentonite clay in the post katie (wellness mama) has on doing a pit detox i did see buried in the comments someone suggested slathering some raw honey (it probably needs to be raw to work) on your pits, waiting 30 minutes or longer (i waited an hour) and then just wiping it off with warm water. it works! i honestly couldn't believe it but my whole level of odor is greatly reduced since doing the detox. i drink waaaay too much diet soda & i've heard soda can cause lots of odor. also, since the raw honey detox i no longer get these little dark red patches that looked like burned skin with the crystal rock deo.

also, if any of you get the irritated bumps or rash from the baking soda you can use a pH balancer spray before applying the coconut oil/baking soda paste deo to prevent it. here's the formula from crunchy betty:

One tablespoon ACV to 1 cup distilled (or well filtered) water.

Mix that together in a small container (if you have a spray bottle, this would be absolutely awesome as a little spray). she says not to spray it on freshly shaved pits but i haven't had an issue personally. just keep it in the fridge & toss after 10-14 days.

another thing that works are chlorophyll capsules. you will have dark green poop though & watch out for loose bowels.

i love my virgin coconut/b.s./arrowroot deo (it smells divine with equal amounts of tea tree & lavender essential oils) but i have weird pit fragrance reactions to pretty much any deo even straight milk of magnesia or arrowroot so currently use the crystal rock.

tl;dr
1. do a pit detox with raw honey to greatly reduce odor
2. if you try a coconut oil/baking soda deo use the pH balancer to prevent the red bumps & irritation
3. chlorophyll capsules also reduce odor internally but watch out for the things i mentioned

Last edited by a moderator:
I know of some people who swear by using Milk of Magnesia as a deodorant (an OTC anti-acid liquid for soothing tummy upset). They say they just put it in a roller bottle and apply it to their underarms. Those that have tried it says it works better than anything they've used so far. I've often thought about trying it out myself, but I haven't done so yet. First, I need to put to use the ingredients I bought over the fall/winter to make my own deodorant after we were all discussing it in this awesome deodorant thread here back in the fall. This is the recipe I came up with to try out:

Propanadiol 60%
Water 26.5%
Sodium Stearate 6.5%
Caprol Micro Express 3% (from LotionCrafter's)
Saccharomyces Ferment 2.5% (from Brambleberry)
Fragrance 1%
Liquid Germall Plus .5%

I was going to message you a while back and ask if you had put the Sodium Stearate to use in a deodorant stick. Now I know :) I have been researching what ingredients I want to put in mine. You just gave me good ideas. The Saccharomyces Ferment was one I had on my list to purchase. Thankyou

your post is too funny.

have any of you tried a pit detox? while i wasn't sure i wanted to use bentonite clay in the post katie (wellness mama) has on doing a pit detox i did see buried in the comments someone suggested slathering some raw honey (it probably needs to be raw to work) on your pits, waiting 30 minutes or longer (i waited an hour) and then just wiping it off with warm water. it works! i honestly couldn't believe it but my whole level of odor is greatly reduced since doing the detox. i drink waaaay too much diet soda & i've heard soda can cause lots of odor. also, since the raw honey detox i no longer get these little dark red patches that looked like burned skin with the crystal rock deo.

also, if any of you get the irritated bumps or rash from the baking soda you can use a pH balancer spray before applying the coconut oil/baking soda paste deo to prevent it. here's the formula from crunchy betty:

One tablespoon ACV to 1 cup distilled (or well filtered) water.

Mix that together in a small container (if you have a spray bottle, this would be absolutely awesome as a little spray). she says not to spray it on freshly shaved pits but i haven't had an issue personally. just keep it in the fridge & toss after 10-14 days.

another thing that works are chlorophyll capsules. you will have dark green poop though & watch out for loose bowels.

i love my virgin coconut/b.s./arrowroot deo (it smells divine with equal amounts of tea tree & lavender essential oils) but i have weird pit fragrance reactions to pretty much any deo even straight milk of magnesia or arrowroot so currently use the crystal rock.

tl;dr
1. do a pit detox with raw honey to greatly reduce odor
2. if you try a coconut oil/baking soda deo use the pH balancer to prevent the red bumps & irritation
3. chlorophyll capsules also reduce odor internally but watch out for the things i mentioned

Thanks!! Hmm. Raw honey on the pits. Sounds like a sticky situation. Do you have to put your hands in the air to let the honey dry? Do you need to wear a tank top while doing this? I would imagine going on a picnic during this process is a no-no, huh? Do you detox after a shower or before? I have never heard of detoxing the pits, let alone smearing them with honey. Boy will my dog really go nuts over that. (For some strange and disgusting reason, Ivy likes licking my stinky pits. I want to rip her tongue out!! I thought I was done with that when Shredder crossed Rainbow Bridge. But it seems Ivy was just waiting in the wings to take over all of Shredder's bad habits.)

Chlorophyll. Now that's something I can get on board with! I'm going to have to find some of those and try them out. As someone with IBS that suffers from the opposite of the "chlorophyll effect" this might be a good thing for me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks!! Hmm. Raw honey on the pits. Sounds like a sticky situation. Do you have to put your hands in the air to let the honey dry? Do you need to wear a tank top while doing this? I would imagine going on a picnic during this process is a no-no, huh? Do you detox after a shower or before? I have never heard of detoxing the pits, let alone smearing them with honey.
i hadn't heard of it either and couldn't believe how well it worked. honey is both antibacterial & antifungal i believe, so it really kills off whatever nasties are lurking on our skin. it is sticky but you don't need to keep your arms up or anything. i did wear something sleeveless and then took my shower but it comes off super easily with warm water so you could just wipe it off over the sink if that's easier. i just did it in the AM & then took my shower. i would skip the picnic though, lol.

Boy will my dog really go nuts over that. (For some strange and disgusting reason, Ivy likes licking my stinky pits. I want to rip her tongue out!! I thought I was done with that when Shredder crossed Rainbow Bridge. But it seems Ivy was just waiting in the wings to take over all of Shredder's bad habits.)
my dog definitely likes all my homemade products on my skin. but then i go a bit crazy for the smell of coconut oil myself. :)

i have IBS too with alternating symptoms so can't take the chlorophyll right now, but it really helps. supposedly, a clean diet really makes a difference. if only that were a little easier to do.

Back