Can this batch be saved?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds Like Not Enough Water

Sounds like you don't have enough water for dilution, the best way to dilute the soap paste is in a cooking pot on the stove, the crock pot doesn't get hot enough. You will have a very good boil when the paste is dissolving in the distilled water, you do use distilled water right? It's takes a little time to dissolve depending on the type of oil you used, especially a high percentage of coconut oil. The best way to determine the amount of distilled water needed to dissolve the paste is the percentage of true soap to water ratio. For an average liquid soap which is 25% actual soap to 75% water, you would add 1 lb and 6 oz (22 oz) of water per lb of soap. So if you made 6 lbs of soap paste you would dilute with 9 lbs and 6 oz 0r (132 oz) of distilled water. The soap will begin to look like maple syrup while boiling in the pot. If you know how many lbs of soap paste you made, try diluting using this formula, if you have an idea of how much water you added, just subtract it from the amount needed. Hope this helps!
Lisa

Sounds like you don't have enough water for dilution, the best way to dilute the soap paste is in a cooking pot on the stove, the crock pot doesn't get hot enough. You will have a very good boil when the paste is dissolving in the distilled water, you do use distilled water right? It's takes a little time to dissolve depending on the type of oil you used, especially a high percentage of coconut oil. The best way to determine the amount of distilled water needed to dissolve the paste is the percentage of true soap to water ratio. For an average liquid soap which is 25% actual soap to 75% water, you would add 1 lb and 6 oz (22 oz) of water per lb of soap. So if you made 6 lbs of soap paste you would dilute with 9 lbs and 6 oz 0r (132 oz) of distilled water. The soap will begin to look like maple syrup while boiling in the pot. If you know how many lbs of soap paste you made, try diluting using this formula, if you have an idea of how much water you added, just subtract it from the amount needed. Hope this helps!
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Yes, it was a case of not enough water. When I went to 1:2 soap:water, it was good. When I went to 1:3, it worked in my foaming pump! :)

Thanks!
Lisa

How do you get by with not cooking the paste?

Hi Susie,
I would like to hear your version of making liquid soap, sounds like you cut a lot of time out of the process! You must be onto a new liquid soap making era!
Lisa

Back