letting heat escape...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonna

Reaction score
Sorry but this is newbie question. When can I unwrap my mold from the many blankets and towels I used to let some of the heat escape? It's been about 14 hours and I'm dying for a peek!!! :)

I peek all the time. My soaps gel so easily I think I could throw them in the pool and they'd still gel.

Once my soaps are cool enough to touch I take the bankets off and unmold.

Well I just had a peek and after 14hours it's still like jelly. Is this normal? I really hope this turns out :? I used pvc pipe for my mold and I lined it very lightly with vaseline...hope this doesn't affect the outcome. Just have to wait about 10 more hours :)

Vonna said:
Well I just had a peek and after 14hours it's still like jelly. Is this normal? I really hope this turns out :? I used pvc pipe for my mold and I lined it very lightly with vaseline...hope this doesn't affect the outcome. Just have to wait about 10 more hours :)

id didnt wrap my pvc soap at all, it gelled nice, you can always peek, i do all the time! you can unmold after 24 hrs, this is cp?

pvc updates plz, im planning on trying a pvc round mold. How did you wrap, how long and all the little details :) thanks

As long as it has completely gelled (all the way out to the edges and the whole thing looks clear and gelly-like!!) you can uncover it!

Well I used a round pvc pipe for a 2 lb batch. I covered the bottom with bakers paper and then placed the end cap over the paper....greased the inside with a light layer of vaseline....poured....cling wrap and rubber band over the top...then used a little trash can to sit it in and shoved towels all around it...then covered the top with an old chanel blanket. I just unwrapped after about 14 hours because it was still hot. Hopefully I can unmould tonight and cut!! Well see.

This was my first time using pvc and I haven't unmoulded yet so maybe we can get some info from someone more experienced :) Wouldn't want to steer ya wrong :)

Dalziel said:
pvc updates plz, im planning on trying a pvc round mold. How did you wrap, how long and all the little details :) thanks

I love to try new tricks so I'll share what I've learned thus far.

I was using vaseline to coat the inside. It really made a difference. But it was messy and time consuming and I'm... well... lazy.
So I tried inserting one of those thin flexible cutting mats (3 in a pack for about $5 bucks). I cut it to size so that the ends meet as opposed to overlapping. I then cut it to length.
I've done 3 batches that way and OMG I will never go back to vaseline again. It comes out SOOOO EASY!!! And of course they are reusable.

I also used to put a plastic sandwich bag on the bottom, then a PVC test cap, and then used masking tape to seal. I've slightly altered that (again because I'm... well... lazy). I first put on the PVC test cap, then a piece of thick plastic cut from a garbage bag (though probably any plastic is fine). But instead of taping I then slide a PVC coupler over the end and push down hard. This stretches the plastic tight and holds the test cap in place. The coupler also makes the mold more stable while the soap hardens. It CAN be a little difficult to pull this off for unmolding but it seems each batch it comes off easier. I'm considering sanding down the end slightly... not sure yet.

It might make sense to put the plastic bag on first and THEN the test cap... but if you have to bang the mold to free up air bubbles the test cap CAN pop out and leak soap. (PLEASE don't ask how I know this!! :) )

Other notes: I almost always wait 48 hours to unmold. I HAVE done it after 24 successfully but it just seems to cut so much easier if it hardens a bit more. IF I insulate I just wrap the whole thing in blankets. When I do this I let it stay wrapped until I'm ready to unmold or at least until it is no longer giving off heat... this helps to insure a full even gel. When I DON'T choose to gel, it sits nicely on the top shelf of my fridge.

HTH!

AshleyR said:
As long as it has completely gelled (all the way out to the edges and the whole thing looks clear and gelly-like!!) you can uncover it!

Many thanks for this I was going to post a question, I made some soap this morning and had a peek after about two hours, and it had fully gelled, and I was wondering if I could take my blankets off, I am so glad that I can! Hopefully I will be able to unmould it a bit sooner! :D

Latest posts

Back