SMF April 2017 Challenge-Stripes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't enter the challenge, but I thought I'd try to get some stripes anyway :)

I sort of succeeded - except with the green.

PhotoGrid_1492268929781.jpg

This is another non-entry that I'm posting for troubleshooting:

ws199u.jpg

As you can see, the bottom white layer is very crumbly. In fact, this is the least crumbly bar. When cutting, the top three layers (white, blue and peach)would cut as usual and as soon as I got to the bottom white layer, the knife would just go through and the soap separated on its own. Plus, 50% of the batch had the top three colour layers separate from the bottom layer.

I used a technique I saw on youtube. I made my soap in a pot as usual but only stirred by hand until emulsion, than separated that batch into my colours, stickblended the colour I wanted at that time and poured at thick trace. I waited a few minutes to be sure the layer had set before pouring a new colour.

Could it be that only the bottom layer gelled (or even overheated) ? I used beer as part of my liquid (the other part was vinegar). I also placed the silicone mold in the pre-heated oven with a towel. I unmolded after 24 hours, but cut at 48 hours to be sure I would not get drag marks. The soap was very hard at that point.

Do you mind divulging your recipe? It's easier to trouble shoot.

Did you use fragrance? Add it to the oil or the batter or did you add it to each part separately? Did this all come from the same batch (it sounds like it) and what did you mix your colors with beforehand, or did you add the powder directly to the batter?

Have you zap tested each layer? I am wondering if you thought you had emulsion but didn't. The lye water settles at the bottom so it's possible you poured out for your colors but ended up with excess lye in the white bottom layer, causing a difference in hardness from layer to layer.

This is another non-entry that I'm posting for troubleshooting:

ws199u.jpg

As you can see, the bottom white layer is very crumbly. In fact, this is the least crumbly bar. When cutting, the top three layers (white, blue and peach)would cut as usual and as soon as I got to the bottom white layer, the knife would just go through and the soap separated on its own. Plus, 50% of the batch had the top three colour layers separate from the bottom layer.

I used a technique I saw on youtube. I made my soap in a pot as usual but only stirred by hand until emulsion, than separated that batch into my colours, stickblended the colour I wanted at that time and poured at thick trace. I waited a few minutes to be sure the layer had set before pouring a new colour.

Could it be that only the bottom layer gelled (or even overheated) ? I used beer as part of my liquid (the other part was vinegar). I also placed the silicone mold in the pre-heated oven with a towel. I unmolded after 24 hours, but cut at 48 hours to be sure I would not get drag marks. The soap was very hard at that point.

This can be an issue with using a knife to cut. The wedge shape of a knife causes alot of shearing force near the botton of the bar and causes the crumbling. You can try using a bench scraper or a putty knife and see if that helps. THat is why most soapers move to a wire cutter pretty quickly IMO

Do you mind divulging your recipe? It's easier to trouble shoot.

Did you use fragrance? Add it to the oil or the batter or did you add it to each part separately? Did this all come from the same batch (it sounds like it) and what did you mix your colors with beforehand, or did you add the powder directly to the batter?

Have you zap tested each layer? I am wondering if you thought you had emulsion but didn't. The lye water settles at the bottom so it's possible you poured out for your colors but ended up with excess lye in the white bottom layer, causing a difference in hardness from layer to layer.

The recipe was:

5% castor
30 % olive
10 % avocado
55 % lard

5% superfat, 33 % lye concentration, both my lye water and oils were at 110 F when combined. I used 117 g vinegar along with 102 g of beer as my liquids. I did not use a fragrance, but used 24g peppermint eo for 800g of oil.

I added the eo before adding the lye water. I then added the lye water, stirred by hand (15 minutes) until I reached emulsion. Then I separated the raw soap into containers that already had micas suspended in a small amount of glycerin.

The bottom white was poured first in another container. Each layer doesn't zap.

My guess is that the bottom layer got way hotter than the other layers for some reason and that the top layers did not gel.The reason I suspect that the top layers did not gel is because I used orange and ocean bluemicas and got pastel colours.

I don't think it's a difference in heat or gel -- I've never heard of that causing soap to crumble, at least not in CP. Plus if your bottom layer was that hot, I'd think it would gel the top. My mind went where newbie's did with the bottom possibly being lye heavy, but if it didn't zap right after you cut it then that wouldn't explain it. If you didn't test right away, dig down in a bit and see if that gives a buzz. The surface won't stay zappy long but inside will.

The only other thing I can offer (besides supporting KC's assessment) is that it could be bad mojo between beer and vinegar. I have nothing to back that, just my experience saying that in general, additives can really add up. I avoid doing too many things in any one batch because I've found that any one thing can give a soap it's own mind, so it stands to reason that giving it even more brain food can produce some real bucking power. I haven't run your recipe through a calc, so my words assume you weren't too low water, which at glance does not appear to be.

Is it okay to ask for non-entry volunteers to help me decide which batch to enter? I have two, and while I know which one I like I'm not sure most others would see it that way. Both batches employ the same basic design feature but the results are quite different. I have nothing earth shattering (sorry), I am just particularly indecisive on this one. Also, I doubt I'll get off another batch to settle the matter. We're in the middle of two different building projects, which in addition to sucking time apparently presents too many decisions all on their own.

If newbie says it's okay, and if any non-competitors are watching and willing, please PM me and I'll send pics. TIA

Here are my two non-entries. First is a rose clay soap scented with Rosehip Jasmine from BB, with rose petals on top. It doesn't have enough stripes :) but I like it. The second one is just plain ugly. In the past whenever my colors have looked bright and vibrant in the batter, they have come out pastel after gelling and sitting overnight in the mold. Not these little champs! All colors I have used before but for some reason they decided to stand up and say HELLO! :) It reminds me of a big top circus tent! LOL It's scented with Hippie Chick from Rustic Escentuals.

I do have an entry, but I am leaving for Florida on the 19th and returning on the 26th. I don't know my SMF password so I don't think I can enter my picture from my mom's house, hopefully I'll be home in time to do it.

IMG_20170412_075734575.jpg

IMG_20170415_102246761.jpg

Last edited:
1. earlene - so much fun!

2. doriettefarm - you guys must have ESP . . . I was hoping for something stripe-y since that's what I'm making today!

3. dibbles - hmmm...thinking, thinking...

4. Misschief - keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have time this month

5. beardguy - i love stripes

6. CaraBou - At attention!

7. Soapprentice - will be out of station till 16th, so lot of time to plan (hopefully)

8. Battle Gnome - still hoping to find soaping time. Fingers crossed

9. SaltedFig - has ideas!

10. makemineirish -

11. Redhead - As long as they dont need to be straight! lol

12. jules92207 - Oh I love it! The one time stripes won't make me look fat!

13. Arimara- I have a great idea for this. I just need shea butter and PKO flakes...

14. Steve85569 - I might have time. And pastels are for spring, right?

15. toxikon - I know just what to do with my new Nurture micas!

16. amd - any excuse to get started on soapy wedding favors!

17. nikkisessence - maybe a rainbow. Can't wait to try this!

18 SunRiseArts - I already have an idea in my head.

19. SheLion - Got a brand spanking-new SB that needs broken in!

20. KristaY - Thankfully they don't have to be straight since I can barely walk a straight line let alone soap a straight line.....

21. Omneya - I hope this kick starts my mojo, I need it and I am excited to participate

22. mommycarlson -

23. Artemis - well, maybe just one try

24. Saponista - I really want to make some fun soap!

25. Dahila - it is my first time. I am challenge virgin

26. SunWolf - Hopefully I remember to submit my entry before time runs out this month!

27. BlackDog - a busy couple of months at work are OVER! I'm back in the saddle!

28. Cherrycoke216 - think stripe! Can I still enter now? ;)

I don't think it's a difference in heat or gel -- I've never heard of that causing soap to crumble, at least not in CP. Plus if your bottom layer was that hot, I'd think it would gel the top. My mind went where newbie's did with the bottom possibly being lye heavy, but if it didn't zap right after you cut it then that wouldn't explain it. If you didn't test right away, dig down in a bit and see if that gives a buzz. The surface won't stay zappy long but inside will.

The only other thing I can offer (besides supporting KC's assessment) is that it could be bad mojo between beer and vinegar. I have nothing to back that, just my experience saying that in general, additives can really add up. I avoid doing too many things in any one batch because I've found that any one thing can give a soap it's own mind, so it stands to reason that giving it even more brain food can produce some real bucking power. I haven't run your recipe through a calc, so my words assume you weren't too low water, which at glance does not appear to be.

If a difference in gel doesn't explain it, the soap gremlins probably got to it is my take. I shredded some of the bars for rebatch (with another bar that was fine, but ugly as sin) and didn't think to test for zap, but I didn't wear gloves while doing it and my hands didn't feel any lye. I know this isn't scientific, but oh well...

I did make a final, very simple attempt at stripes yesterday evening only to enter something using only two colours and a single eo I know behaves really well. It won't be a show stopper, but at least it won't be a crumbly, parmesan like mess without a top :)

Here are my two non-entries. First is a rose clay soap scented with Rosehip Jasmine from BB, with rose petals on top. It doesn't have enough stripes :) but I like it. The second one is just plain ugly. In the past whenever my colors have looked bright and vibrant in the batter, they have come out pastel after gelling and sitting overnight in the mold. Not these little champs! All colors I have used before but for some reason they decided to stand up and say HELLO! :) It reminds me of a big top circus tent! LOL It's scented with Hippie Chick from Rustic Escentuals.

I love both of these!

I'm excited to post my entry! I had a lot of fun with it. For my first batch, I stupidly used a discolouring FO so my nice bright colours turned murky and my whites turned to cream.

For my second batch, the colours turned out fabulous, but the stripes aren't quite as well-defined as I got a bit looser with my wall pour as I should've.

Still - I think I will find the nicest bars from the second batch to enter, because those Nurture Micas REALLY pop!

^^SRA, are you unsatisfiable (or maybe blind)?? But then again, that kind of dismissal seems to be a trend with others too!

Yo, newbie, can you yea or nay my request in #68? Not trying to be pushy, just want to make sure you've seen it. I'm guessing you've just been busy with life - that seems to be another trend, at least with me!

I agree Steve85 lot harder than it looks. I had this plan I thought I would ace, but the batter had another plan. lol

Back