Lemon Verbena & Lemon Balm Shower Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Hard to believe it's been over half a year since I last made soap! I somehow just lost the inertia. But since my supply has dwindled down to the last few bars, I was forced to action today. Hopefully the soap I have will last until this batch is ready. The following recipe is just a different "flavor" of my last batch, which was, by far, the best soap I have made to date. This time, however, instead of calendula infused oil and dandelion tea, I used lemon verbena infused oil and lemon balm tea. And I also used some clay for the first time. I also once again decided to leave this unscented (other than what the tea or oil infusion might contribute)

for a 1.5 pound (680 gram) batch:

50% Olive oil (lemon verbena infused) - 340g
20% Palm oil - 136g
15% Coconut oil - 102g
10% Sunflower oil - 68g
5% Sweet almond oil - 34g

6% super fat
35% water as percent of oil weight (238g of lemon balm tea)

3 teaspoons of French green clay added to oils before lye mixture

Everything seemed to go well...except for the crinkly parchment paper I used (I can't seem to find any freezer paper locally)...no big deal since this is for my personal use and I don't mind uneven edges. THe color was a nice olive-y green, though I know it will lighten over time. I'll post more photos once it is cut and cured a bit.

lemon_verbena_balm_soap.jpg

Last edited:
wow...this soap did the exact opposite of what I thought it would do - instead of lightening in color like every one of my previous batches, it darkened an incredible amount! So much for some nice green soap...how about some purple-y brown soap instead?!? Only a very thin layer on the top of the soap stayed yellowish-green...any idea what happened? I assume it has to do with the lemon balm tea I used and not the green clay?

lemon_verbena_balm_soap_cut.jpg

Latest posts

Back