Dragons blood fo faded to nothing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dillsandwitch

Reaction score
I got some bramble berry dragons blood fo and it smelled absolutly brilliant for about a week but 3 weeks on I can barely smell it. I used 20gm in 800gm oils. Should I have used more or does this fo just fade to nothing after a while? Tia :)

I've never used DB, but everything I've read says it's not a fader.

Your ratio seemed rather light to me, so I plugged it into SoapMaker: 20 g FO to 800 g oils is only 1.6%, somewhat weak. A lot of people use 1 oz PPO (about 30 g for 500g oils, or nearly 4%), but I tend to use 2.5-3.5%, depending on FO, or about 30-40 g FO for 800 g oils.

Did you gel the soap? Sometimes heat can flash off fragrances, leaving them weak to nonexistent.

Except for known skin irritants such as clove, cinnamon, peppermint etc. I always go for 6% to 7% in my soaps. Probably has something to do with my customers always telling me my fragrances hold well...:p. I simply do not skimp on fragrance. Actually in soap calc 1 oz ppo equals approx 6.2%

^^^Agree. I typically do 1oz ppo with most of my fragrances unless I know it's an irritant. I just made a batch of dragons blood from BB this weekend, 2oz fo in 32oz of oils. Its only a few days old right now but the scent is definitely there. It held up well the last time I made it too only that was a salt bar so this is my first regular soap with it. I will keep a nose to it while it cures to see if it fades.

Thanks. I asked a while back how much fo to use and a couple of replys was 25g per kg so thats why I used 20g. At least I know for next time. Its all a learning experience.

It might have partial gelled. I just moulded and left it on the bench.

Like others are saying i have never had dragon blood fade, even once when i used near the ratio as you. You might find its scent comes back after a few uses, i notice that with a lot of my soaps

I made another batch with double the FO ad I still cant smell it. :Kitten Love: My guess is that my nose is broken to this scent. I asked DH and he can smell it fine. Says the newer one is much stronger than the other one but that the older one still smells. Which is good. bad that I cant smell it though as I thought it was really nice :cry:

Sounds like your smeller has gone on strike! That happens to me when I'm too intensely around pure oils. When it does, I take a break for a day or two, close up the soaping rooms and do something else, preferably outdoors with fresh air.

Brains stop recognizing overly-familiar odors... think of how you don't recognize your own house scent until you've been away for a week or more, then it hits your nose and you think, "Wow, does my house smell like THAT?" ;)

Jenny

Our neighbors and mail lady often comment on how good our house smells while walking by, we just scratch our heads. Must be all the soaps but since we are around it all day we can't smell it.

Broken smeller for sure.

Jules, that's a wonderful compliment to receive.... Consider the alternative :)

Back