Total Newbie from IL

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitsune73

Reaction score
Hello, all! I've been lurking along the forum since I found the handy little app, and I figured that it was time to step out of the shadows. I've been making very basic MP soap for a couple of years (they make great stocking stuffers!), and I'm planning to do my first CP batch as soon as my last few supplies come from Bramble Berry! I did have a question about batch sizes. My book (The Everything Soap Making Book by Alicia Grosso) suggests that I start out with 1lb batches, but from other readings it seems that larger batches may be easier to learn on (possibly 5lb?). What are your thoughts?

Hi Kitsune73.
I'm fairly new myself to the forum. I've been making cp soap for several years now. On batch size...Small batches are nice and easy, and I prefer 2-3 lb batches even now because it allows me more creative control. I have a six lb mold, but I've rigged it so that it can accommodate various batch sizes. Small batches keep expenses down on experimenting as well which does add up quickly. I just made my smallest batch ever last night -12 ozs! I made shampoo bars and didn't want too many to start. That being said big batches offer fun as well when you want to do fancier techniques. If you are just starting cp then I would recommend the small batch route while you learn the basics and get a routine- it won't take long :)
Cheers!
Anna Marie

How did you rig your mold? I may have ordered the 5lb mold with the sliding bottom from BB... I decided that I absolutely needed it NOW for some odd reason, lol.

Use small batches until you get your basic formulas down. It saves costs. Once you learn what you like or don't like, then you can make larger batches. You can use plastic food storage containers lined in freezer paper or plastic bags(I cut open a zip top bag and use that for a liner in small batches.) I would just not plan to reuse those containers for food. You can worry about making the bars pretty once you get your basics down. You are more than likely not going to want to give soap away until you are more comfortable with the process.

I'm in Dekalb. It's nearish Chicago. I don't plan on using any CP bars for gifts for quite a while (unless you count using my sister as a guinea pig muahaha). That's what my mp stash is for. :)

Welcome to the forum. You can use the 5lb mold from BB and just make a cardboard insert wrapped in plastic wrap to make a smaller loaf. I would make 2 lbs at a time to get your feet wet. I started there and found it was easier to calculate. Just jump it and have fun. I may become an addiction, I know it has for me.

How did you rig your mold? I may have ordered the 5lb mold with the sliding bottom from BB... I decided that I absolutely needed it NOW for some odd reason, lol.

Lol! Being myself I got the big mold right away :). Mine is a wood mold, and I discovered that if I unscrewed one end it actually fit perfectly within the mold as a barrier. I then marked off my mold for 2,3, and 4 lb batches. I'm glad I went that route because now that I am selling I do make bigger batches.
Cheers!
Anna Marie

Mine is wood as well, I'll have to see what I can do once it arrives. I really can't wait to get started!

Back