Black and White

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought I would try a black and white soap. This isn't what I was expecting when I cut it, but I think it looks cool. FO was Day-star's Sweetgrass and sure enough, just as the reviews say, it doesn't smell like much now. I'm expecting it will come to life in about 3 weeks though, from what people said. For once I added enough color!

IMG_9001.jpg

Oh those look bad a$$.. Sorry had to say it. Feat thing that poped in my head and we're all adults here. :)

I love them.. So very cool with the contrast and such a great wave design with detail. Love love love!

How cool. Love! I made soap today and used a black oxide and it didn't at all become black. It looks like poop brown. Was it because I needed more color?

Ok, great, now ANOTHER soap I have to add to my growing list of things to try LOL :lol: Looks great Newbie!!! Not sure how you wanted it to come out but your swirls are PERFECT!!

Thank you! I got this swirl just from pouring colors into the mold- no spoon, no ITP (not really). I poured the black in first (maybe 16-20 ounces) and then poured in 8 ounce cups of batter one after the other, each one having some white and black in it but progressively having more white than black. I didn't really think it would go around like it did and I couldn't tell by looking either. I thought it would be more obvious which cup was which, if you know what i mean.

Jaccart, I used activated charcoal so I can't comment on the oxide but I seem never to put enough in and get dark dark gray and not black, which is super annoying. I finally just went whole hog and made it BLACK. I also never put in enough TD to get that opaque white and I finally managed that too, although I got some crackle, but that's okay. I always think my base will be white enough with a little TD kick-sometimes it takes a long time to find out you are dead wrong!

Gorgeous! And thanks for sharing your technique!

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

So pretty! I love dark colored soaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Oooh pretty! I know this is a dumb question but does the coloring change the color of the lather at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

That is one thing about using charcoal. You have to use an awful lot of it to discolor the bubbles. This lathers white. SOme people use up to 3T per pound of oils but they said they do get a little graying. I used less than that and am satisfied with this black and I try to stay at a point where it doesn't discolor. That's just me though. Some people don't mind the gray to get an extra deep deep dark black.

Latest posts

Back