heating and holding

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToniD

Reaction score
I am having a terrible time heating and holding--can't seem to find a good way to do it. I only have a small hot plate in my workroom. I have tried my crockpot and my electric roaster filled with water and used as a double boiler, but can't seem to get up to temp.

Anyway, suggestions? Please share what you use.

When I started out and was making my sample batches, 8-16ozs, I used one of my smaller stock pots with an inch or so of water and put 2 ceramic mugs into it, one for water phase and one for oil phase. The water always goes a little higher and evaporates so I add 25% more then the recipe calls for.

Clearly this won't work for bigger batches but the only other option is to get another hotplate. I've never used a hot plate before but sounds like you need a bigger one.

Another thought just struck me. Can you buy a couple "Hot Pots"? They are made to heat food, water etc and they definitely heat up to higher temps. They aren't terribly expensive and with 2 you could make up some decent sized batches. I'd still stick with glass (oven safe) or stainless steel bowls for setting inside to make a double broiler out of them.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006IUXU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 This one is similar to the one I have and I know it can take water up to a "roiling boil" so definitely hot enough for "Heat & Hold".

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my big stainless steel soup pot, and I place a round cake cooling rack inside on the bottom, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Harold-Imports-6- ... 713&sr=8-2

Then I take 3 wide mouth canning jars big enough for each phase: 1 jar for my oil phase ingredients, 1 jar for my water phase ingredients, and 1 jar filled with nothing but distilled water in case I need to add any water back into my batch due to evaporation. [Since I mix my water phase into my oil phase after heating and holding, I make sure my oil phase jar is big enough to accomodate both it and the water phase once the two phases are mixed together.]

Once the jars are filled, I cover each with foil, stick a thermometer through the foil into the oil phase jar and another one into the water phase jar (I don't put a thermometer into the plain distilled water jar), and then I place all 3 jars into my pot.

I then fill the pot with only enough water to come 1/4 to 1/2 way up my jars and bring to a simmer until they reach temp. Then I fiddle with the stove knob and adjust as needed to keep the temp steady for 20 minutes. And that's it. It works great for me- easy-peasy.

IrishLass :)

Last edited by a moderator:
IrishLass - you're my savior! I really wanted to try my hand at lotion making, but I just couldn't think of a convenient way to do it in my kitchen without investing in a huge fondue pot like SwiftCraftMonkey has LOL. Thank you! (Once again 8) )

Thanks for the good ideas. I especially like covering with foil and putting a thermometer in each phase jar.

Yeah, I think I need to get a bigger hot plate. What I have works wonderfully for melting oils for soap, but it just does not provide enough heat to get my lotion phases warm enough.

I read somewhere about bringing it to temp and putting it in the oven

I've only made lotions a few times, but have done it this way and found it way easier than standing over the stove top and adjusting the heat. I have had the most success with my lotion doing it this way too :)

I bring my phases to temp and hold them in an oven set to 220 F. (My oven runs a little colder, I have read others set theirs at 200.) I set my measuring cups in a baking pan with a touch of water in the bottom. This works very well, and makes emulsification very smooth as my phase temps are almost exactly the same. Instant emulsification; cool.

Do you bring the phases to temp initially in a microwave or a double boiler?

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but rather than start a new one..

I've been wanting to try a simple lotion recipe ever since I received wonderful lotions in our Halloween soap swap. I would like to start with this one:
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2 ... ecipe.html

I have read the term 'heat and hold' many times on here, but swift doesn't mention it in this recipe, I'm assuming I do need to do this for 20 minutes?

Is the heating and holding for sterilization purposes?
Thank you for any help.

Hi Val,

You're right, she doesn't say heat & hold, but...I feel pretty certain you should. Actually, I read further and in the comments section she mentions the heat and hold.

I believe the heat & hold serves 2 purposes. One is to kill off bacteria, etc. The second reason (I know I read this somewhere) is to actually help the emulsification process. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Love that recipe BTW. The first few batches I made I used the e-wax and stearic acid. It made a thick, creamy lotion/cream. I then tried the same recipe with a tad more water (and adjusted the entire recipe) but used cetyl alcohol and BTMS. My hubby likes the 2nd one better. My problem is measuring the preservative or FO due to the small amount. It's a real pain on my scale.

Good Luck! [/i]

kharmon320 said:
Hi Val,

You're right, she doesn't say heat & hold, but...I feel pretty certain you should. Actually, I read further and in the comments section she mentions the heat and hold.

I believe the heat & hold serves 2 purposes. One is to kill off bacteria, etc. The second reason (I know I read this somewhere) is to actually help the emulsification process. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Love that recipe BTW. The first few batches I made I used the e-wax and stearic acid. It made a thick, creamy lotion/cream. I then tried the same recipe with a tad more water (and adjusted the entire recipe) but used cetyl alcohol and BTMS. My hubby likes the 2nd one better. My problem is measuring the preservative or FO due to the small amount. It's a real pain on my scale.

Good Luck! [/i]

Kerrie, thanks so much for such a detailed response and the great tips!

Swift has such a great blog, but I could loose hours there, there's so much info. I think your are correct about the emulsification, after I had posted I came across that somewhere else in her blog. Trying to read it during work breaks.

It's funny, I had a list started for Lotion Crafters and I had the BTMS and Cetyl Alcohol on it, only because she had said it is what she prefers :)

Carebear loves ButterEZ, so I'm going to get some of that too, maybe try a little body butter, I have a ton of Shea that I've only ever used in soap.

And, yeah, the small amounts are so tough- I just caught on recently and started measuring in grams vs. ounces :roll:

saltydog said:
Carebear loves ButterEZ, so I'm going to get some of that too, maybe try a little body butter, I have a ton of Shea that I've only ever used in soap.

I second the ButterEZ. It's awesome stuff.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back