deodorant too greasy...how do i fix it!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sassey

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just ran across this board and just love it. what a great source for information! Hopefully someone out there can make a suggestion to me for my problem.

I am experimenting with making deodorant. I saw a post on here about it and I basically just used a lip balm recipe I had and arrow root powder, baking powder and corn starch to it along with some EO's added to it. I only made a little bit knowing it would need some work to make it just right. the problem is that it is too greasy. I used beeswax in this recipe, so do i need to just melt it down and add more, or do I add more cornstarch, baking soda or arrowroot powder?

Also, my husband is willing to try this, but doesn't like the smell of the EO's. he likes the cocoa butter smell that it naturally has. Is is necessary to add any EO's, or would it possibly work without it?

Thanks everyone!

You don't have to add the eo's but some, like tea tree, have anti-bacterial qualities.

Can you post your recipe? We might be able to help more. If it's too greasy what soft oils are you using?

I stick with fract coconut oil and jojoba as those absorb pretty well.

Okay, here is the recipe I used. I did go ahead and remelt and add more beeswax which I think helped.

sweet almond oil 43%
beeswax 22%
cocoa butter 15%
coconut oil 10%
lanolin 10%

then I used 3 drops of vitamin E
1 TBSP baking soda
1 TBSP arrow root powder
2 TBSP corn starch

That is 4 TBSP of powders to how many oz of oil/butter/wax?

I originally only added 3 TBSP, but I did remelt and add 1 gram of beexwax and 1 more TBSP of corn starch. I thought I could cut some of the greasiness that way. I have never tried deodorant, so I just threw some things together hoping for the best! Judging from your response Tabitha, I must have done an overkill in the powders.....huh? If I did, how much would you recommend as a standard guideline?

Thank you. :wink:

It does not say how many oz of the oil/butter/wax mixture you added the powder too, That is the number I need to make an assesment.

If you added 4 TBSP to 1 pound of base, that is one thing, if you added 4 TBSP to 5 pounds of base that is completely different.

I need to get the powder to base ratio.

OOPS! Sorry, here is what I did:

24 g Sweet almond oil
12 g beeswax
9 g cocoa butter
6 g coconut oil
6 g lanolin
1 tbsp baking soda
2 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp arrow root
2 drops tea tree tree oil

Just an idea, but maybe you should drop the lanolin and maybe 1 TBSP of your powder???

I'm new to lip balms and have never made deoderant, but my take is you add 1/3 butters, 1/3 oils, and 1/3 wax, plus whatever your additives are. I would think you may need more beeswax to make the product stiffer, if that doesn't work how about switching to some less-greasy oils like jojoba or avocado?

Lindy said:
The one item you are missing is Tinosan.... http://www.theherbarie.com/Tinosan-SDC-pr-400.html... This product is very effective for deodorant as well as being used as a preservative in products with a PH lower than 7.....
It works with oils/butters only formula? I thought it was only water soluble.
Optiphen works as a preservative with oil based formulas.

Hi Soapbuddy - it's fine in oil only formulations and actually works really well in deodorant sticks.... I started using it just over a year ago and found it very effective....

I should add that this was orignally marketed as a deodorant additive and its only recently that they started to market it for a preservative....

Lindy said:
Hi Soapbuddy - it's fine in oil only formulations and actually works really well in deodorant sticks.... I started using it just over a year ago and found it very effective....

I should add that this was orignally marketed as a deodorant additive and its only recently that they started to market it for a preservative....
Thank you. That's good to know. I do have some that I tried in a lotion and that didn't work out. Would you use it at 0.1% since the formula has no water?

Lindy said:
The one item you are missing is Tinosan.... http://www.theherbarie.com/Tinosan-SDC-pr-400.html... This product is very effective for deodorant as well as being used as a preservative in products with a PH lower than 7.....

Do my recipe proportions look okay to you? Should I drop the lanolin like earlier suggested? WHen I add the Tinosan, do I need to reduce anything else in the recipe or do I just add it in addition to what I have? What percentage should this be used at?

Thank you so much for your suggestion...I will give it a try! :wink:

1/3nwax, 1/3 oil & 1/3 butter is a starting point, but because she used cocoa butter which is rock hard, she does not need as much wax.

When I make deos I use 1 tablespoon of powder per 1oz of oil/butter/wax mixture.

It is a greasy product by nature. I believe that is the nature of the beast. You sacrifice the dry glide of a commercial deodorant for the sake of a more natural, safer product.

I use it at the full .3% to get the maximum deodorant effect.

Sassey - Try this for your recipe:

Beeswax - 14 gr (29.9%)
Sweet Almond Oil - 9 gr (19.2%)
Cocoa Butter - 9 gr (19.2%)
Coconut Oil - 6 gr (12.8%)
Lanolin - 6 gr (12.8%)
Cornstarch - .25 tsp (2.6%)
Arrowroot - .25 tsp (2.6%)
Tea Tree Oil - 3 drops (.4%)
Tinason - 2 drops (.3%)

You can have too much powder in it which would just make a sticky mess.

It would also be easier to make this in larger amounts which is why I've given your the percentages....

Thank you Tabitha for your response. I don't mind a little greasiness, but I am afraid of it staining clothing. Should I try maybe shea butter or mango butter instead of cocoa butter? Would this help the formulation some? I also noticed that when I use this and then take a shower, my armpits feel like there is a coating on there that doesn't wash off. What is causing this, or is this just normal for natural deodorant?

Thank you Lindy!!!! I will give this a try. I think I had too much powder in it. It was greasy, but didn't have any glide if that makes sense. :D I only have two tubes so could I fill them and pour the rest into a container and remelt and pour into tubes as needed?

If you try re-melting it, you are going to throw of the powder content, it will sink, clump, etc. I have tried remelting a couple times, but it is not a good idea if it has powder in it already.

I make my wax/oil/butter base a gallon at a time. I scoop out as much as I need into a pyrex measuring cup, melt, add the powder, stir & pour.

Make sure you do not pour too hot or your powder will sink. Infact, maybe that is your problem now. Maybe it is greasy because the powder sank & you are applying straight wax/oi/butter. Just a thought...

Again, my ratio is 1oz base to 1 tablespoon powder.

Another thing about remelting you are going to damage the EO and I'm not sure how well the Tinosan would hold up depending on temps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back