How have your ideals changed?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My philosophy is that if it's a rinse-off product (soap) I'm fine with using synthetic fragrances. All the fragrances I buy are skin safe (obviously) and paraben and phthalate free, so they're pretty good. If it's a LEAVE-ON product (my beard oil, any hand salve, balm, etc I might make) THAT has to be essential oil. I mean, it doesn't make sense to me to buy expensive essential oils just to rinse 99% of it down the drain when you shower, with the exception of a few. For instance, I buy all my essential oils by the gallon and the peppermint is cheaper than peppermint fragrance oil! All the citruses are too, but we all know how those translate in CP soap!

So I got into this thinking this was a way to keep busy during my down time in the winter as a horticulturist.
I now tell people if my house ever catches fire and the fire department comes with water there's going to be a lot of bubbles going into the watershed...LOL...something akin to a superfund site.
There's definitely a magic I feel when making soap....but for this area it's a tough market. Every small town nearby has a resident soap maker. There's 2 in my town with a population under 4,000.
I have been fortunate in having a graphic artist volunteer every now and then to work with me on label development. And a couple of friends with store fronts allowing me to sell my soaps there at no cost. But sales are lacking until Christmas time. There is the occasional customer who tries a soap and loves it , returning to buy multiples bars of the same type.
Maybe everyone simply wants to buy everything at one of the big outlet stores...the discount chains have beautiful imported soaps in beautiful boxes made with ho hum ingredients...
I remember taking a class with a respected soap maker here in CT...I was impressed with her marketing, her wrapping, you name it. But she probably started that business 25 years ago and has since sold the business to pursue food photography for a CT based magazine. I'm sure when she started there were very few people doing soap in the state. Now every town has one, at least in my area.
And then there's the farmer's markets...almost one for every town and no body care product person from what I see is making enough to warrant the set up, strip down for a fair on an ongoing basis.I've seen small markets with 3 people selling body care products.
I don't think I'll ever give up making soap. I enjoy it too much. My expectations have been tempered though...

Back