~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > The Soap Making & Craft Forum > General Chat > Shampoo bar

Old 04-21-2017, 01:57 PM   #11
aihrat
Gently gently

Liked 124 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaversPort View Post
I'm fascinated by shampoo bars, even though most people here recommend against them, and I have super fine hair that my hairdresser jokes responds best to controlled damage

How long have you been using shampoo bars? You add sodium citrate to your hair? How does that work?
Rats, I meant to say I add sodium citrate to my shampoo bars.

I find shampoo bars fascinating too! And it makes sense that it would make the fine-haired, straight-haired crew quite happy since it's a bit of a cheat to get volume

There's a a legendary shampoo bar recipe by Genny (link here) that I've been meaning to try after I finish my current batch of bars. I'd probably add sodium citrate to mine, and an egg yolk for lather. It sounds like an amazing recipe for people who like shampoo bars and everyone raves about it so I can't wait to try it!

WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #12
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4560 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by aihrat View Post
Rats, I meant to say I add sodium citrate to my shampoo bars.

I find shampoo bars fascinating too! And it makes sense that it would make the fine-haired, straight-haired crew quite happy since it's a bit of a cheat to get volume

There's a a legendary shampoo bar recipe by Genny (link here) that I've been meaning to try after I finish my current batch of bars. I'd probably add sodium citrate to mine, and an egg yolk for lather. It sounds like an amazing recipe for people who like shampoo bars and everyone raves about it so I can't wait to try it!
I don't use the recipe linked for shampoo but for a great facial/body bar with a tweak or two. It's a great soap.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #13
aihrat
Gently gently

Liked 124 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 149

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt2011 View Post
I don't use the recipe linked for shampoo but for a great facial/body bar with a tweak or two. It's a great soap.
If you don't mind sharing, what did you tweak to make it more suitable as a bath/body soap?
WeaversPort Likes This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
IrishLass
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 6970 Times on 3514 Posts
Likes Given: 4552

I can't speak for Shunt/Shari, but for what it's worth, I too use Genny's shampoo bar recipe as a regular body bar and/or facial soap. The only tweak I've make to mine is that I use high oleic sunflower oil in place of the soybean oil. As far as hardness goes- it does not make a super duper rock-hard bar, but it's very gentle and the lather is surprisingly rich and bubbly in spite of not having any coconut oil or any of the other high-bubbling oils in it. It has since usurped the throne that Castile once held as my favorite gentle formula. It doesn't get as hard as a Castile gets after a year of cure, but the lather is so much nicer than my Castile (it bubbles right up in my hand without the need of a washcloth or pouf for friction) and is non-goopy/slimy.

Edited to add- I should mention that I use 5% sugar in it, as well as tetrasodium EDTA, which helps with my hard water issues.

IrishLass
People Like This 
Old 04-21-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
shunt2011
Administrator
SOAP_ADMIN.png

Liked 4560 Times on 3045 Posts
Likes Given: 3796

Quote:
Originally Posted by aihrat View Post
If you don't mind sharing, what did you tweak to make it more suitable as a bath/body soap?

I too use sunflower. I've also used avocado.
aihrat Likes This 
Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #16
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4825 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
Yes, that's true. Commercial Shampoos are made with detergent and other synthetic chemicals. They are referred to as "Syndet" bars. However, within the soap making community, it's "different strokes for different folks". Homemade Shampoo Bars are really a matter of personal choice. Some members, like Shunt, have really bad experiences. Some members, like me, love making homemade shampoo -- bars and liquid, but the homemade stuff takes a bit of getting used to. And rinsing with apple cider vinegar or beer or lemon or lemon/parsley is necessary to get all the soap scum out so the hair doesn't get stiff. Here's a link that compares homemade shampoo bars to commercial shampoo. (Scroll down)

http://www.chagrinvalleysoapandsalve...e-shampoo-bars
Just curious if you have long or short hair. If hair is cut regularly you will not notice the damage happening. Hair is so resilient that it can take a couple of years for the damage to show up. As for using soap on fine hair I would not, fine hair tends to be quite fragile. Here is a good article by Adriana Sassoon about shampoo
https://adrianasassoon.me/tag/history-of-shampoo/
Just remember, damaged hair cannot really be fixed since it is dead. We can add band-aids such as conditions that will absorb but they do not "Fix" the hair. You just cannot fix "Dead"

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Dahila Likes This 
Old 04-26-2017, 02:39 AM   #17
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 757 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
Just curious if you have long or short hair. If hair is cut regularly you will not notice the damage happening. Hair is so resilient that it can take a couple of years for the damage to show up. As for using soap on fine hair I would not, fine hair tends to be quite fragile. Here is a good article by Adriana Sassoon about shampoo
https://adrianasassoon.me/tag/history-of-shampoo/
Just remember, damaged hair cannot really be fixed since it is dead. We can add band-aids such as conditions that will absorb but they do not "Fix" the hair. You just cannot fix "Dead"
Thank you for your concern, Carolyn. No worries... I'm 74 and I think I'll be dead before my hair is! LOL I have fine, dark ash brown, "virgin" hair with a bit of a natural wave... sometimes short; sometimes long. I don't use product on it and I rarely use a hair dryer. I must be an exception cuz far from being "dead", my hair looks and feels healthy. Sometimes I can't keep myself from running my fingers thru it, it feels so silky. LOL When we visited my brother & SIL in Phoenix a few months ago, she didn't believe my hair wasn't colored. She used to be a hairdresser and she raised an eyebrow when I told her it was my natural color. Then she gave me a good squint! LOL She's a year younger than I am. Her hair is pure white. We both use argan oil for shine and control.
aihrat Likes This 
Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 AM   #18
cmzaha
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4825 Times on 2812 Posts
Likes Given: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zany_in_CO View Post
Thank you for your concern, Carolyn. No worries... I'm 74 and I think I'll be dead before my hair is! LOL I have fine, dark ash brown, "virgin" hair with a bit of a natural wave... sometimes short; sometimes long. I don't use product on it and I rarely use a hair dryer. I must be an exception cuz far from being "dead", my hair looks and feels healthy. Sometimes I can't keep myself from running my fingers thru it, it feels so silky. LOL When we visited my brother & SIL in Phoenix a few months ago, she didn't believe my hair wasn't colored. She used to be a hairdresser and she raised an eyebrow when I told her it was my natural color. Then she gave me a good squint! LOL She's a year younger than I am. Her hair is pure white. We both use argan oil for shine and control.
Yeah, someone older than me!! I am 68 and my hair is silver platinum, I gave up coloring it years ago. Being a former hairdresser it is still hard for me to accept the gray/platinum, but I actually had a gal refuse to color my hair a few years ago. I was at a market and the salon had a booth next to me so we started chatting. Told her I was contemplating re-coloring and she told me in no un-certain terms not to touch it. LOL, I still color my mom's at 91...

A former customer of mine was in here late 70's and still had chestnut curly hair without a hint of gray. It was very sad when chemo got her gorgeous hair but I assured her it would come back dark and it did.

cmzaha
No kids in the soaping area
Zany_in_CO Likes This 
Old 04-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #19
Zany_in_CO
Saponifier

Liked 757 Times on 489 Posts
Likes Given: 2964

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmzaha View Post
I still color my mom's at 91...
Oh, that's funny! Moms do have their way with us, don't they?

Quote:
A former customer of mine was in here late 70's and still had chestnut curly hair without a hint of gray. It was very sad when chemo got her gorgeous hair but I assured her it would come back dark and it did.
Wow! I can't help but think we must be related... or it's just good genes.