Help, what are these white streaks?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonflyday

Reaction score
I did not use TD but it sure looks like it. It's on the edges of my soap too and it's soft and crumbly. I don't think it's lye and I made sure I mixed my batter. I soaped at about 110degrees. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

streaks.jpg

Just because you did not use TD does not mean it could not be crackle/glycerine rivers/streaks. Did you use full water and gel?

I agree with lpstephy85; we need to know what's in the soap. I do wonder if it overheated because of the crumbly issue on the sides.
Best,
Anna Marie

Yes, full water and gel. Recipe is 35% olive, 27% coconut, 27% palm, 5% castor and 6% avocado. Ran through a lye calculator and passed zap test. I don't think it overheated. It's a lavender fo that I've used many times before and it tends to not heat up as much.

I've been doing more research and I agree with Dahlia. I think it's stearic acid from the palm. I was naughty and didn't melt and stir it first and maybe I was soaping too cool?

TVivian...thanks! I think it looks cool too. My concern is Is it okay to use and just a cosmetic issue?

Thank you to everyone for your input. I've been soaping for a couple of years but constantly learning. Cheers!

You have a good point on the palm. When I first started making soap I didn't fully melt and mix Palm. Once I started doing that the aesthetic issues went away:).
Soaping too cool shouldn't create that issue, however. I soap very cool (80ish) to keep fragrances from misbehaving and to be able to accomplish the fancy detail work I do. My soaps comes out beautifully smooth. I think you're closer on mark with the palm (or possibly a partial gel issue). Gotta love the unpredictable nature of soap:)
Best,
Anna Marie

I'm thinking its a combination of the Palm and using full water with gel. It likely gelled a bit hotter causing your soap to do that

However I think it looks really cool.

Latest posts

Back