Replacing shea in lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a lotion recipe I really like that has a small amount of shea but I'd like to replace the shea with other butters in a couple batches. This makes me wonder if the lotion would be much thicker if using a hard butter?
I'm interested in tucuma and kokum.
Do you think it will be ok to simply swap out the shea or should I increase the liquid oil and decrease the butter? Especially worried about the kokum as its extremely hard.

My go to recipe. The batch I want to do tomorrow will be pumpkin seed oil and one of the above butters.

Water phase
13.4oz distilled water
.6oz glycerin

Oil phase
1.3oz Rice bran oil
1.3oz Almond oil
1oz Shea butter
.6 oz stearic acid
1oz e-wax

Cool down
.2oz fragrance
.2oz preservative
.4oz Dimethicone- Out of this, do I need to replace the amount with water or a oil? Was going to use extra glycerin but don't want to over do it.

huh... I just typed out a reply and it vanished...

Longer story shorter: I recently had no shea and used something else and you really couldn't tell the difference in the thickness. I say give it a try. And add the missing dimethicone to the water phase.

My husband has a shea allergy. I use kokum as a sub. It works just fine.

My daughter accidently used some of my palm shortening in her batch of lotion and I can say I really loved it. She thought she had measured out shea. The shea I got last time from my supplier was almost the same color as my palm shortening

My daughter accidently used some of my palm shortening in her batch of lotion and I can say I really loved it. She thought she had measured out shea. The shea I got last time from my supplier was almost the same color as my palm shortening

cmzaha,

I went to the craft fair held in Del Mar a couple months ago (huge event...took 4 hours to cover one building...then found out there was another building). One b&b vendor was so happy and eager to talk about her products, I bought some even though I didn't need any. Her lotion contains a great deal of palm oil - at first I wasn't impressed with that, but I love her lotion! I'd order more, but it's just way too expensive.

wow, never thought of putting palm into my lotions/body butters formulations. i better start digging around and experimenting. this forum IS the best! :D

Back