when using vaseline in lip gloss

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normajean999

Reaction score
If you add Vaseline to make a more wet lip gloss do you add it to your melted butters or do you just stir the butters into it? I wasn't sure if the Vaseline melts or not.

I'm just curious, why add Vaseline? Castor oil will give you a similar effect.

Question. I don't think castor will give me the consistency I am looking for. I am making lip gloss for my little daughter. I am thinking something like carmex consistency or a gloss you can easily get on your finger when you go to put it on. like the lip gloss the little girls get at the store.

Lanolin gives a beautiful shine to lip balm. With the addition of flavor oils/stevia for sweetness, she should love it. Here is one I made not too long ago:

Beeswax 19 gm
Coconut Oil 10gm
Lanolin 6 gm
Olive oil 14 gm
Vit E 1 cap
Lard 16 gm
Avacado Oil 6 gm
Apricot Oil 3gm

Any liquid oils will do for the ones I used, BTW. I just used what I had.

I've made this before and it was too soft for my lip balm tubes, but very lovely in lip pots:

16% beeswax
40% castor oil (a must for that glossy shine)
23% cocoa butter
17% Virgin coconut oil
3% flavor oil
1% vitamin E

Substitutions:
-Instead of the cocoa butter, you can can sub in any other hard-at room-temp butter/fat. By the way, palm oil or palm kernel oil is a very nice grain-free sub if you don't want to use any butters)

-Instead of 40% castor, you can reduce the castor to 30% and sub in 10% lanolin. I wouldn't totally get rid of the castor because it's a wonderful shine/gloss inducer in balms.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back