100%ish lard body cream

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, chilling them helps. I also place the bowl of melted oils in the fridge to help cool them faster. I'm going to look for a different brand of lard, maybe I can find one that doesn't have the piggy smell like armour does.

i made a 100% lard body butter. I love lard, to eat and in soap. I loved the lard body butter but i could not get over the smell. Even with EO's and FO's the lard left a manure smell.
I just couldnt use it...because of the poopy smell.

Last edited:
Yeah, chilling them helps. I also place the bowl of melted oils in the fridge to help cool them faster. I'm going to look for a different brand of lard, maybe I can find one that doesn't have the piggy smell like armour does.

Please let me know if you do find some. I would LOVE to use lard in more stuff, but I can smell it in everything but bar soap.

I get Morrel lard in big 20lb buckets from my local WalMart. It doesn't have a piggy smell upon opening.
What I have noticed is that lard gets "piggier" the longer it's been opened. (I generally use it within a few months of opening). I've noticed this in the small buckets of Amour lard as well.

I'm going to have to try this now! I love lard in soap!

oh my

I going to have to make this I have really bad dry skin right now thanks to winter, although I'm not going to add any EOs. I want to try it before making it smell pretty, lol just incase I don't like it. I was looking for a recipe that don't need preservatives to try first. I don't use lotion in the bathroom , and I always try new recipes on myself before allow anyone else to use. thank you

I decide to try a lard based body butter. I used around 1 cup lard, 1/3 cup coconut oil, 1 Tbs beeswax and 1 tsp cornstarch. It didn't whip up as fluffy as shea based body butter but it is super creamy and soft. It melts into the skin better then shea and actually feels a lot nicer. There is still a bit of piggy scent when first applied but after a few minutes, all I can smell is the FO.

@ alwaysme07
Hi, the no preservative lard whipped body butter you asked is right here @ thread post # 12 above.

As long as there's no water, you don't need preservative. You only need anti- oxidants and it's probably already in the lard. & coconut oil you buy.

Back