Clay Help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpstephy85

Reaction score
Was wondering if any one can suggest a good place to get a wide variety of colored clays from. Looking for a place either in the Midwest or East coast. Trying to avoid getting something from the west coast with shipping prices. I have been looking at a lot of soaps that used clay for coloring and love what I have seen (especially in the reds, pinks, and purples). My client wants natural colors and after my first run using herbs and not getting the results I wanted I figured I would have better luck with clays. Also, does any one have suggestions for a natural blue? TIA

He's a little pricy but good quality - soapmakingresoruce.com based out of Pennsylvania.

For blue, I've had the best luck with indigo - either adding it to the water before the lye, or holding back some water,mixed with indigo and mixing it in after emulsion.

I love the red of Morrocan red clay from soap making resource, but find the French green clay very light for color, even though I love it as an additive.

Last edited:
Agree that Brambleberry has a great selection of colors. I've also been pleased with the clays I've ordered from New Directions Aromatics. Either way you're looking at shipping from west coast or east cost and I think ND has a $100 minimum.

Back