Castor Oil Substitution

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Salt bars are something you have to babysit and check constantly. I've had batches ready after one hour while others took 4-5 hours. As soon as I can get the soap out of the mold, I cut, often the soap is still quite soft. I've pretty much switched to using cavity molds as its just so much easier.

Question for you. I used individual molds for the first time a few months ago and got the worst ash I've ever had. I mean really thick. It also ashed on the mold side when I unmolded it. I couldn't even wash it off. I've started using them.....dummy here made 48 bars of it :thumbdown: I have always used a slab with dividers and works great with no ash. These not so much.

I would like to try them again as I sell a lot of them and wanted to introduce something different but am afraid to take the chance. I did cover them and put them in the oven just with the light on overnight.

TIA for any suggestions.

Thats not something I can help with, my salt bars all ash really bad. I have CPOP in cavity molds a couple times and they don't ash but its so easy to overheat salt bars I don't do it often. I have a microplaner I use to scrap off the worse of the ash.

That's sorta strange. I make a lot of salt bars and it's one of the recipes I never have had a problem with ashing over. I cover mine with saran wrap, don't insulate or CPOP. No alcohol spritzing. No ash. Weird that you're getting ash.

Ditto what new12soap and Obsidian said. These things tend to gel and set up fast!

I babysit mine as well, checking for gel every 15 minutes or so, and then once full gel has been achieved, I periodically check for when it has firmed up enough to my liking before unmolding and cutting.

Some of my batches are ready to unmold and cut in about 1 hour, and some are not ready for 3 hours or so. It all depends on the FO for me.

Basically, I unmold and cut mine when the soap has firmed back up from full gel and is still quite warm/hot, but still soft enough to have just a wee bit of 'give' to it when I press on the surface. That's the perfect time to cut in order for me to minimize crumbling. I might still get a little bit of crumbling at the edges, but it's quite minor and nothing that my beveller can't pretty up in a jiffy.

IrishLass :)

That's sorta strange. I make a lot of salt bars and it's one of the recipes I never have had a problem with ashing over. I cover mine with saran wrap, don't insulate or CPOP. No alcohol spritzing. No ash. Weird that you're getting ash.

I never insulate or CPOP my slab mold. I just let it do it's thing. I do put my cover on it. I can usually unmold in 1-2 hours. They are still pretty warm but easily removed. I never get ash on those.

Maybe I'll try the individual molds again. I've been making the salt bars for almost 5 years I think. They are pretty much all I use for me.

Keep my fingers crossed..going to do it this weekend.

I'm doing three batches of different recipe tweaks on my salt soaps this weekend, more to check quality and performance over time. But, I'll play with them a bit to see if I can pour some different molds,( pretty much always use a loaf mold), different covering methods, etc. See if i can create some ash on any of them. I'll let you know what I find.

I'm doing three batches of different recipe tweaks on my salt soaps this weekend, more to check quality and performance over time. But, I'll play with them a bit to see if I can pour some different molds,( pretty much always use a loaf mold), different covering methods, etc. See if i can create some ash on any of them. I'll let you know what I find.

Awesome, thank you! As I said this is the worst I ever experienced. Might have to tweak my recipe a bit when I try again.

Look forward to seeing what happens (or doesn't)

I always chalked it up to the bars being so zappy when they are cut and having all the sides exposed to air. I rarely gel my salt bars but when I do, the ash is less.

Follow up on my first salt bars - THANKS

I'll be darned but I sold each and every one (except the one I'm using myself) even though they were "damaged". My customer said, "I don't care!" Well, okay! So I just labeled them "Chunky Salt Bars".

Thanks to everyone who helped me through! Now I'm off to make my next batch.

You guys are great.

Happy Holidays!

You made your first CP batch November 4, your first salt batch November 18 (or 19) and you are already selling soap.

Hello, my name is Leigh and I'm new to soap making. I've been doing MP for a few months, but just made my first small loaf of CP soap this morning. I'm a firm believer in learning all I can about whatever I put my mind to do. All it takes is some oil, some lye and a little luck, right? :smile: And maybe the help and advice of some skilled pros. I look forward to reading and researching here, and maybe showing off a bar of soap or two down the road. Best regards to all. Leigh.

I don't even know where to begin.

Awesome, thank you! As I said this is the worst I ever experienced. Might have to tweak my recipe a bit when I try again.

Look forward to seeing what happens (or doesn't)

I'm glad someone posted here again, I forgot about giving you some results on the salt bars. Since the original post, I've made 5 batches of salt bars.

One batch in a loaf mold I left uncovered (saran wrap). It got more ash on it than Mt St Helens. The other batches, I did the normal cover with saran wrap and left on a shelf, in the mold, uninsulated. No ash at all.

One of the batches, I poured a couple of single bars. One covered, one uncovered. The covered was fine, the uncovered had ash, but not as bad as the loaf mold.

Recipe I use is,

CO 75%
Avocado 15%
Castor 5 %
Shea or Mango butter 5% (i've been experimenting switching this out)

Salt is normal sea salt, non iodized. at 50% of oil weight.

All but two batches were different EO blends.

I gotta say, I have the same results on my base recipe soaps as well. CPOP all of them, covered in saran wrap. Every now and then I'll see a little corner of ash on the loaf, and it's always a corner where i didn't get the saran down tight.

Hope that helps.

You made your first CP batch November 4, your first salt batch November 18 (or 19) and you are already selling soap.

I don't even know where to begin.

I.....am not going to say a thing. :)

I'm glad someone posted here again, I forgot about giving you some results on the salt bars. Since the original post, I've made 5 batches of salt bars.

One batch in a loaf mold I left uncovered (saran wrap). It got more ash on it than Mt St Helens. The other batches, I did the normal cover with saran wrap and left on a shelf, in the mold, uninsulated. No ash at all.

One of the batches, I poured a couple of single bars. One covered, one uncovered. The covered was fine, the uncovered had ash, but not as bad as the loaf mold.

As for selling the salt bars, I agree with the rest, way to soon to be selling and I also cure mine a good long time before selling them.

Recipe I use is,

CO 75%
Avocado 15%
Castor 5 %
Shea or Mango butter 5% (i've been experimenting switching this out)

Salt is normal sea salt, non iodized. at 50% of oil weight.

All but two batches were different EO blends.

I gotta say, I have the same results on my base recipe soaps as well. CPOP all of them, covered in saran wrap. Every now and then I'll see a little corner of ash on the loaf, and it's always a corner where i didn't get the saran down tight.

Hope that helps.

Your recipe is very close to mine. The only things I don't do is use a butter and I vary between 25-50% salt. The only one's I got the ash on were the individual molds. Haven't had a chance to play with them yet....Hoping next weekend. Thank you for sharing your results.

Thanks!

I just wanted to thank Relle, Hazel and JustBeachy! It's so much more helpful for a beginner to get anything other than a straightforward, helpful and informative response that might have gone something like this, "I understand you're new to soaping, but you should cure your salt bars for 3 to 6 months and here's why....".

I haven't received payment for, nor delivered my salt soaps - and won't. I'll find the answer to the curing issue, but it won't be here, will it?

I just wanted to thank Relle, Hazel and JustBeachy! It's so much more helpful for a beginner to get anything other than a straightforward, helpful and informative response that might have gone something like this, "I understand you're new to soaping, but you should cure your salt bars for 3 to 6 months and here's why....".

I haven't received payment for, nor delivered my salt soaps - and won't. I'll find the answer to the curing issue, but it won't be here, will it?

Well, actually, you could find the answers about curing here. In at least a hundred different posts. As well as great advice on all the aspects of starting and running a soaping business. But to maybe clarify a bit as to this post.

I believe you said, "I'll be darned but I sold each and every one (except the one I'm using myself) even though they were "damaged". My customer said, "I don't care!" Well, okay! So I just labeled them "Chunky Salt Bars".

I've been in the sales business for quite a few years, and while I don't claim to be an expert in anything, "Sold" has always had a fairly definitive meaning to me. I could be wrong though.

Sorry, if you got your feelings hurt. I really am. I was trying to be nice, by keeping my mouth shut. That said, you have a great Christmas and good luck with your soaping endeavors. Peace.

You're welcome! :grin:

but you should cure your salt bars for 3 to 6 months and here's why....".

Sweetie, you already received an answer about curing.

I'll be darned but I sold each and every one (except the one I'm using myself) even though they were "damaged". My customer said, "I don't care!" Well, okay! So I just labeled them "Chunky Salt Bars".

I may be wrong about what "sold" means, too.

Ho ho ho.

I did it. I used 50% salt ppo (ha! I know what that means now 😁) or, rather, I got to the end, started filling the mold and realized - and I hope this happens to other people - I had forgotten to add the salt.

I regrouped fast and got the salt in though, lol. This is my third CP attempt. Sometimes I feel like I have such a long, long way to go.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Edit: I DO have a long, long way to go!
WE ALL DO!!!!!!

WE ALL DO!!!!!!
I'm happy to see you're browsing the forum to learn more about whatever interests you. Here's a friendly TIP: Before posting a comment check the previous post for the date. It's written just above the Avatar. In this case, it's December 22, 2014. :D

I agree and disagree with Obi. You don't really need the castor in a salt soap. I use it at 5%, because........well cause I always have. :p

I do a 75% coconut with castor, avocado and shea butter. I don't get a sticky feeling at all, but it's only 5% butter. I think if I made a soap without butter my head would spin off. :p Maybe I need to do some experimenting and try to kick my butter addiction.

I've settled into using 50% ppo. Still produces a nice salt feel to the finished soap, but like others have said, it's easier to work with, less chance of crumbles and easier on the lathering.
Love this: " I think if I made a soap without butter my head would spin off. :p Maybe I need to do some experimenting and try to kick my butter addiction."

Latest posts

Back