Allergies and why soap should be labeled

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I decided in the beginning to label all my ingredients. I also decided not to do the common "fragrances" and detail out every essential oil. I did it exactly for the reason of allergies and transparency. If something is labeled "fragrances" people with allergies to anything that can lie in that realm will pass on the product. I just think it's good practice to label all ingredients to increase your customer base. But, I LOVE that it's optional in the soap realm in the United States. Freedom of choice is what we need, and we are losing it all the time.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I don't want legislation because of incidents like this.

I decided in the beginning to label all my ingredients. I also decided not to do the common "fragrances" and detail out every essential oil. I did it exactly for the reason of allergies and transparency. If something is labeled "fragrances" people with allergies to anything that can lie in that realm will pass on the product. I just think it's good practice to label all ingredients to increase your customer base. But, I LOVE that it's optional in the soap realm in the United States. Freedom of choice is what we need, and we are losing it all the time.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but I don't want legislation because of incidents like this.
I fully agree with not wanting legislation controls over such, we are definitely loosing our choices daily. It would be nice for the people that choose not to label to think about it and start labeling all ingredients. I also label the essentials when I use eo's of course when I use fragrance it is labeled fragrance. Some people are more allergic to eo's than fo's

Unless people like the soaper in the original example pull their fingers out, legislation might come. The op asked specifically for the ingredients and the most important one was left out of the list!

I think to many people in countries with no legislation on soaping think that it is a case of throw some lye on to oils and make a quick buck. If the op had gone to the hospital then maybe her insurance would claim against the soaper which would then raise the profile somewhat. It doesn't take too many of those cases before something official comes.

I'm not saying that "y'all" over there should have legislation, but I get the feeling it's coming.

Glad you are doing good. I didn't think about it before that a bar of soap could be a life threatening to some body.
Thank you for sharing.
I wish you all good.

Unless people like the soaper in the original example pull their fingers out, legislation might come. The op asked specifically for the ingredients and the most important one was left out of the list!

I think to many people in countries with no legislation on soaping think that it is a case of throw some lye on to oils and make a quick buck. If the op had gone to the hospital then maybe her insurance would claim against the soaper which would then raise the profile somewhat. It doesn't take too many of those cases before something official comes.

I'm not saying that "y'all" over there should have legislation, but I get the feeling it's coming.

While I side completely with the "less big brother is always a great thing", the talk I've heard from some mid to large soaping operations, is more legislation/enforcement is coming.

Latest posts

Back