environmentally safe household products :grey water question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
This question is from my husband.

Does anyone know what types of soaps & detergents are safe to include in grey water for garden irrigation?

I found this excerpt online:-

"Is greywater safe?

Any greywater you use may contain higher levels of chemicals and bacteria. So don't drink it, or let your pets drink it, and always wash your hands after using it.

But wastewater from showers, baths, hand basins and washing machines is perfectly safe to use on the garden - though keep in mind that you should use environmentally friendly products (soap, shampoo, detergents and the like), so that you don't harm your plants or the soil!

It's not a good idea to use kitchen wastewater, as soil organisms won't break down the food and chemical contaminants in the water very quickly.

Be sure to only use as much liquid as the soil can absorb, and rotate the areas you use the wastewater on. If the plants start to look unhealthy, or your garden begins to smell bad, then stop! And don't use wastewater on fruits or vegetables that you intend to eat raw."
(on http://www.gmagazine.com.au/729/greywater)

Several sites all recommend the same thing - do not use your kitchen waste water. If you use environmentally safe kitchen cleaners it is still an issue with the food particles as contaminents.

HTH!

Tanya :)

OK, I was able to get a better grasp on what his actual question is.

What brands of soaps, detergents & household products do you use that you know/believ are safe to include in grey water reuse? Is there a safe laundry detergent brand anyone knows of?

Tab, I'm pretty sure the stuff from 7th Gen is safe. Sometimes Target has it really cheap.

Back