Hello from Lagos, Nigeria.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@soapprentice @saponificarian I'm in for a soap swap too.

Welcome Saponificarian

You can get some more soaping oils and butters locally but not from same source. Castor oil, refined palm oil, sunflower oil, canola oil, tallow (I render it myself). It took me time to discover my sources but I now get 90% of my soaping oils in Nigeria.

Good to have you here.

Good day. Am new to soaping. I need help on where to get soap making oils like refined palm oil, palm kernel oil, coconut oil,shea butter etc in large quantities and at a good price in Nigeria. Thank you.

Hi. Am also interested in getting the soaping oils in Nigeria.

Hi. I get my Tallow from my butcher, the same guys that sell meat at the markets around you. I get Olive oil, Canola oil and Refined Palmolein from either Supermarkets or sometimes I buy in Bulk from Eko. Refined Palm Olein I substitute for palm oil in recipes. You know the refined Palm Olein as Mamador, Devon Kings by PZ.

I am currently experimenting with Soybean oil to see how long and at what percentage in a recipe I start experiencing DOS. Soybean is plentiful in supermarkets if you want to use it but be careful as it is high in Linoleic and it is very very prone to going rancid, causing DOS. ROE should help. The brand you are most familiar with is Sunola.

Shea butter you can get in bulk in the rural markets around iyana ipaja.

Thanks a lot. I want to make soaps for commercial basis so buying a litre of refined palm oil at the rate they sell in grocery shop will be too high. Buying from a manufacturer will be better.

Saponificarian, my husband sometimes works in Nigeria, but he is on the water. He has not for the last couple of years, but might be going back in January, and he goes through Lagos airport.

Maybe I can send you a couple of my soaps, and he can leave them at the hotel (if he stays overnight), or perhaps someone he might know?

SunriseArts, that will be great!!!! Thank you so much!!! I can meet up with him because I have some recipe with Shea butter I would like to compare with lard out of curiosity so I can send you the soaps I made with those recipes. Thanks again SunriseArt. I will PM you.

Saponificarian, my husband sometimes works in Nigeria, but ... might be going back in January, and he goes through Lagos airport.
SunriseArts, that will be great!!!! Thank you so much!!! I can meet up with him because I have some recipe with Shea butter I would like to compare with lard out of curiosity so I can send you the soaps I made with those recipes.
Oh, Sunrise, now you've done it! I wanna swap too! I'll whip up some of my "Hog Wash" LS (family favorite; lard & PKO) -- just the paste in a double ZipLoc, for Saponificarian to dilute later... shouldn't take up much more room in a suitcase. Pleeeeeease? :mrgreen:

Aww!! Thanks Zany. Unfortunately I can’t use Lard. Can’t even touch it. So I was going to send SunriseArts some recipes that I have that use Shea butter instead of Lard so she can help me compare. Thank you so much. I can use pretty much any other soaping oil so I am game for the swap if you are. :mrgreen::bunny:

SunriseArts, that will be great!!!! Thank you so much!!! I can meet up with him because I have some recipe with Shea butter I would like to compare with lard out of curiosity so I can send you the soaps I made with those recipes. Thanks again SunriseArt. I will PM you.

awesome! I will know later this month if he is going. Not sure yet. His "potential" boss is coming to Houston I think. We are crossing our fingers!

Back