Want to improve my bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuddinAndPeanuts

Reaction score
I have a recipe for bath bombs that goes together beautifully but has some performance issues I want to improve. They’re ok, but I’d like them dissolve faster and fizz more impressively. Even better if they floated. The kaolin is a recent addition, and has made the slow to dissolve bombs, dissolve even slower. I know I need to get that down to maybe a half ounce (if I keep it at all). What other tweaks do you all recommend?

54oz baking soda
36oz citric acid
26oz corn starch
6oz cream of tartar
4oz kaolin clay
Mica for color
11.7oz cocoa butter
9oz polysorbate 80
1.7oz jojoba oil
1.1oz fragrance
.40oz vodka

I use cream of tartar, and no kaolin. I killed the starch in mine as well, and I believe corn starch or other starches will slow the fizz. I have gotten mine to float by packing lightly and poking some pockets in before molding the sides together. I only use baking soda, citric, cream of tartar, buttermilk, apricot kernel (or other light) oil, poly 80, fragrance and color.

That seems like a lot of corn starch, which in reality is just a filler ingredient. Also cocoa butter is a heavy 'oil' and will aid in sinking a bath bomb, and you do have a high amount in there. I would lower those 2 ingredients, and with less oil/butter, your bb's will probably fizz more/faster, because oil/butter will hinder fizzing action, especially butters.
As osso said, how you pack your bombs will aid in the floating/spinning of your bombs. pack lightly, and pack one side slightly more than the other side, and you will get both spinning and floating, with the fizzing.

Back