Dumb thing to do...kind of funny though

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmd439

Reaction score
So I decided to make pumpkin bread. I needed two loaf pans, I had a glass one and a silicone mold. I have two silicone molds and I had thought I had used one of them to make two batches of soap at different times. Well, I made my pumpkin bread and ate the one from the glass mold first...delicious! The one from the silicone mold, I gave to my mom because it came out nicer looking...she said it tasted good....I took my first bite a few days later....I had obviously made soap with it. She claims she could not tell, but with my first bite it just tasted off...I guess this was the mold I used for my Hot Cocoa soap. I'm guessing it is edible as no one has died since then lol.

The other mold still smells quite strongly of ginger pear fo. If I use that mold for another soap, will the new soap absorb the ginger pear fo like my pumpkin bread absorbed the Hot Cocoa fo?

I usually try to keep food-molds and soap-molds separate, FO does tend to stick behind depending on the type; If you insist on using the same cookware, I would advise you to make a weak bleach solution and soak the molds in it to lose anything that was left behind :)

I use my Upland molds for all my scented soaps. They have a silicone liner, and although they all smell "perfumy," fragrances come out just fine from them. I do run them through the dishwasher every few uses, but even that oesn't completely get rid of the smell. I wouldn't use any silicone I'd used in soaping for food. I made the mistake of thinking I could use a Silpat to hold sugar scrubs overnight, and just doing that has permanently perfumed it to the point that I cannot bake anything on it without the food taking on the scent. Yuck. I soaked that sucker in a bleach solution, a baking soda solution, and a vinegar solution. I gave up. It's my sugar scrub Silpat now.

Rubbing alcohol is also pretty good with removing scent. I haven't tried it on my silicon mold, but can't hurt huh? :)

It's been a while since I posted. I would obvs not have used the mold for food if I had known I used it for soap. I tried rubbing alcohol and vegetable oil on the ginger pear fo mold before my original post and it did not help much. I may try putting water in it and putting it in the oven on a cookie sheet on high heat, maybe the fo will leach off the mold and into the water. If I dump it while its still hot I think that should help more. After that I will try IanT's suggestion.

I had a metal loaf pan that I put some FO's into and put them on my radiator with water... big mistake, the smell stuck. This was when I first started making soap. And I have always wondered, if I baked a loaf of plain bread in that mold, would the bread suck out the FO? Then I could throw the bread away and have my pan back! I guess you can never really be sure.

Latest posts

Back