Help with Making Black Color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on working with Black color for a candle. Trying to make a Black Cherry candle. No trouble with the scent as they smell great but trying to get the Black color with a hint of red is not working. They tend to come out Dark grey with a hint of Green or Blue. I am using Black Dye blocks from Candlewic.

Candle Science has liquid and dye blocks. You might try adding a little navy dye with the black.

If using dye blocks you may need to add quite a lot for a good black color. Liquid is a little more consistent for that deep color. The downfall is that you may need to wick up considerably. Black seems to bog down wicks.

If using dye blocks you may need to add quite a lot for a good black color. Liquid is a little more consistent for that deep color. The downfall is that you may need to wick up considerably. Black seems to bog down wicks.

"wick up"? I'm not sure I understand this term? :)

"wick up" means that if you burn a size "x" wick in your usual wax combo, if you use a heavier fragrance load or a deeper color, that wick could then not be large enough to burn properly, so you would need to increase the size of the wick to get the same burning....or "wick up"

"wick up" means that if you burn a size "x" wick in your usual wax combo, if you use a heavier fragrance load or a deeper color, that wick could then not be large enough to burn properly, so you would need to increase the size of the wick to get the same burning....or "wick up"

thanks chefmom!

Latest posts

Back