Baking with ginger ale?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So, I've been doing some brainstorming that I want to run past someone.

Backstory: My friends planned a board game night for Saturday. On this past Sunday one of my friends and I realized that it was Pi Day (3/14 as written here in the US, matching pi), and thus I issued a pie challenge.

I'm thinking of taking my group's favorite ginger ale and working it into a pie filling. Pumpkin seemed easiest, since I could just sub out the dairy in the custard for the ale. Now here's my dilemma... Should I use it just straight out of the bottle? Let it go flat? Or should I do like we do for soaps and simmer it into a syrup? I'm leaning towards syrup myself (and if there's any "extra" syrup, well it can always be frozen for soap. ;))...

Are you referring to the sweet soda ginger ale or more of a beer "ale"? I remember making pie crust with 7-up in place of water. I guess the idea is the carbonation adds flakiness to the crust. Ginger ale- if you're talking about the soda type- would be about the same as the 7-up I used to use. Other than that, I don't have experience with replacing liquid for the filling. Sounds like a fun dessert! Good luck.

Yes, it's a non-alcoholic carbonated beverage. :) And I'm not planning on using it in the crust--I made a bunch of crusts for the holidays and froze them, and I still had most of them. (My recipe makes 3-4 crusts, depending on pie size).

If it were me, I think I would try to simmer it into a syrup and then add it like one would add a liquid sweetener such as honey.

IrishLass :)

I haven't tried the pie yet, but it seemed like everything just wanted to go wrong today. Couldn't find the right colors for the soap batch, and then it accelerated like a race car... And then things kept wanting to go wrong with the pies. I spilled filling when trying to get the pumpkin pie into the oven, which skittered off of the baking sheet I had to catch spills and landed on the bottom of the oven. Had to wait for that to cool down so I could clean it before baking the pie... And then I had to try two times to make my grandmother's chocolate cream pie filling. I'd never made it before, and that is one of the few things that I never got to make with her. The first one totally didn't set up and the chocolate didn't fully melt into it. Second time worked beautifully, though!

The golden rule when it comes to food is: everything is edible if you really put your mind into it, but not everything tastes good.

With that being said, by all means, try ginger ale, and please show us the finished product, I'd love to see it, being a pie lover myself lol.

Back