Cupcake bath bombs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holistichonnies

Reaction score
Should we be adding a preservative to the frosting if we use water in frosting mix? If so what should I use?

Has anyone ever made frosting using oil instead of water?

I don't use water in my bath bomb bases, can never get them right so I substituted water 4 oil and get perfect fizzy bombs every time!

Oil in the frosting??? Will this work!??

Why do you want a sugar top? If you use the traditional "frosting" top and sell your product then yes I personally would use a preservative. Sugar in a moist environment like a bathroom, where they should most likely be used would not be a good thing. As for using oil, I don't believe you will get the fluffy " frosting" top you are looking for.

I would suggest using a whipped M&P soap top. There are many recipes for it on the web. Personally I frost my tops with CP soap that is soaped very cold whipped and piped on. They difference between the two is mostly hardness when used as a top. With the cold process you do need to wait a couple weeks as well. I don't fully cure them as they are a one time soap and really more decoration than anything else, but you do need to make sure they are safe to use.

Thanks for that info - Iv done a bit of research and if oil is used then the frosting wont set hard apparently.

The frosting sugar top is a recipe I found on the internet. But a soap top would be much much nicer I think :smile:

Dont suppose you have a link to a melt and pour frosting recipe do you??

You can use preservative in sugar icing. I do. Have no problem with it. Use germaben 2. Those whipped soaps and other stuff do not give u the crisp topping. they look like foam. Don't think oil will work.

You can use preservative in sugar icing. I do. Have no problem with it. Use germaben 2. Those whipped soaps and other stuff do not give u the crisp topping. they look like foam

Fab, thank you. Is germaben 2 a natural substance? I only use natural ingredients.

Iv failed so many times I'm becoming an expert

I disagree with the foam observation. Only if it is done poorly will it look like foam. I am on an iPad so I don't have my pics here but I did post some bakery soaps in a thread asking to see our soaps. I tried searching but can't seem to find it.

Anyway for a quick M&P frosting melt 4 oz of soap cool enough to add your color and fragrance. Then whip it in a bowl slowly add about 2 tablespoons of warm water. Have your bag and tips ready. When it looks like a whip cream consistency pipe it quickly. It will take some practice to know how stiff is too stiff. If it hardens up on you in the bag, put it back in the bowl and rewhip adding water only if it is too dry.

Good luck , and maybe someone can find that thread.

Last edited:
Fab, thank you. Is germaben 2 a natural substance? I only use natural ingredients.

Unfortunately there are no natural preservatives that are strong enough to work at the amounts you would add. ( you would need so much it would overpower the recipe. )

Note that antioxidants are not preservatives.

If you are considering melt and pour frosting what kind are you going with for you "natural" theme? What is your definition of natural? No synthetics parabens, etc? There is nothing wrong with having to add a preservative. There is nothing wrong with the mp either. I would prefer the preservative route as that give the product creator more control over the ingredients.

If you are considering melt and pour frosting what kind are you going with for you "natural" theme? What is your definition of natural? No synthetics parabens, etc? There is nothing wrong with having to add a preservative. There is nothing wrong with the mp either. I would prefer the preservative route as that give the product creator more control over the ingredients.

I have seen some melt and pour which are all natural, no sls etc.

My definition of natural is nothing artificial! Only naturally occurring ingredients.

Stephenson makes a natural m&p. It's brown... I think its african something or other, I'd have to check.

Back