vanilla extract?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some success with using vanilla extract, it didn't seize... but something made the soap smell like faux cherry. I am not sure if it's a combo of spices, the chai tea fo or the vanilla. Get this, it didn't turn dark brown either! ha

It can be used, but I would keep both eyes on it.

I too have used Van. xtrct with some success. I used it in 2 separate batches and neither one turned out with any scent. I used it with coconut cream and you can't smell either. It didn't turn it brown tho and it didn't seize. I have two super mild unscented bars! ;0)

To answer your question, no, you probably won't get any scent if you used it in direct place of FO, like I did. ;0)

Wonder if you cut open a vanilla bean and used that if the smell would make it thru the sap process?

I think that might be a lot more $$$ than FO to begin with. I just used an amazing vanilla today from ND. Wasn't too much money and it smells great!

I just have some vanilla beans that I've had for a while and there not getting used for cooking at the moment.

Imblebee said:
I think that might be a lot more $$$ than FO to begin with. I just used an amazing vanilla today from ND. Wasn't too much money and it smells great!

probably true. I got mine on the cheap from a food warehouse thingy-majig. So i decided to try it. But I wouldn't recommend it for anything. LOL

mamaT said:
I just have some vanilla beans that I've had for a while and there not getting used for cooking at the moment.

i was thinking that i might be able to let a few vanilla beans soak in some oil for a while to use in a pinch. maybe this would work?

If you try an infusion of oil make sure that you split the bean to give you as much surface as possible. I was thinking about spliting the bean and scraping out the seeds and using them in some soap. I just don't know if the smell will make thru sap.

Back