Eek! Christmas!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surreptrixus

Reaction score
My mother in law wants me to make soap for all of her coworkers (17 people!) for Christmas! I've only ever made two (CP) batches before, so I'm not adept at it yet. I told her I couldn't guarantee they'd be pretty bars lol. I've been reading up on oils and playing around on SoapCalc. How does this recipe look?

1% beeswax
1% castor oil
38% almond oil
30% coconut oil
30% lard

If I make this in the next day or two, it should be ready for Christmas, right? Any red flags or anything else I should watch out for?

*I want to note that I don't want to use Palm oil because I haven't been able to research an ethical source for it yet.

If you've only made 2 batches I'm not sure I would make it for other folks as of yet. But that may just be me. I only gave it to family for the first 6 months or so. Then shared with others. However, if you do decide to do it I would keep it simple. 50% lard, 20% CO, Castor 5% and the rest Olive or HO Sunflower. Skip the Beeswax as lard makes a nice hard bar of soap. If made in the next day or so you should be fine for Christmas.

YOU trying saying no to my mother-in-law and see how that goes! Lol! She lives next door so I can't avoid her. ;)

I'm up for the challenge though! I'm just nervous about it, like I am with every aspect of my life. But really, what's the worst that could happen? The batch fails and my MIL will have to figure out a different gift idea, but either way it goes, I get experience! Win!

I have beeswax that I used for another project so I've been trying to find a use for it, but if lard makes a hard bar, I'll have to keep in on the shelf for now. I am very appreciative of the advice!

But really, what's the worst that could happen?

1. You could end up with a lye heavy batch that could hurt someone

2. You could end up with a batch that looks good, but is otherwise a poor representation of handmade soap, thus making the recipients think handmade soap isn't any good.

At the very least, encourage her to give away a proper draining soap dish along with them. Dollar tree has the little nubby ones.

1.) If I super fat at 6% and use PH strips to test it before use, it shouldn't end up lye heavy.

2.) Would you please elaborate about a soap that looks good but is otherwise a poor representation? I intend to use a bar before giving it to anyone, so I'll know if it's sticky, or drying, etc. If the batch is bad, it's a learning experience and won't be given to anyone.

I might not have a lot of practical experience as of yet, but that's partially because I like to do extensive research before diving into anything. (True story- I turned down my husband's first marriage proposal because I hadn't researched filing taxes jointly yet.)

While I appreciate advice and shared knowledge, I do not appreciate the implication that I would ever give something dangerous to someone. I'm always happy to hear constructive criticism, but you're acting as if I am destined to fail. If you think I'm going to fail, please let me know what specifically I can change to succeed, otherwise, have a little faith in my intelligence and ambition. Thanks!

What about doing melt and pour this year, then lye soap next year? Melt and pour is fairly predictable and hard to mess up. Lots of things can go wrong with lye soap - adding to what's already mentioned - your soap could develop DOS (dreaded orange spots - rancidity) and lead to 17 people saying "no thanks" when your mom tries to gift them your soap again next year!

1.) you're acting as if I am destined to fail. If you think I'm going to fail, please let me know what specifically I can change to succeed, otherwise, have a little faith in my intelligence and ambition. Thanks!

I'm not acting like anything. I did not say "you are going to fail." I don't know you. I don't know what kind of soap you're willing to hand out. Never met you before today. As I said, "if I were two batches in..." You asked about red flags and other concerns. And you added "what could go wrong." Those would be two concerns I would have whether you are You or some other new Soaper. That is all. I wrote no judgement into my reply.

1.) If I super fat at 6% and use PH strips to test it before use, it shouldn't end up lye heavy.

pH testing, even when done correctly, doesn't tell you if a bar is lye heavy or not. You need to zap test.

2.) Would you please elaborate about a soap that looks good but is otherwise a poor representation? I intend to use a bar before giving it to anyone, so I'll know if it's sticky, or drying, etc. If the batch is bad, it's a learning experience and won't be given to anyone.
You won't really know how the bar performs until much closer to the time. If you are really prepared to make the batch and then still not give it, then why would you not be able to refuse to make it in the first place, as another of your posts suggested?

Not to mention, how would a bar be in 6 months? People who get given soap don't always use it right away. If I am not sure about how a bar will be at a year, I don't give them very far at all, certainly not over a third party.

While I appreciate advice and shared knowledge, I do not appreciate the implication that I would ever give something dangerous to someone. I'm always happy to hear constructive criticism, but you're acting as if I am destined to fail. If you think I'm going to fail, please let me know what specifically I can change to succeed, otherwise, have a little faith in my intelligence and ambition. Thanks!

You asked for "any red flags and anything else I should look out for" - that's what you're getting. People are seeing red flags and things to look out for, and posting them.

I could be mistaken, but I believe surreptrixus meant "What's the worst that can happen...[I make a terrible soap that's not ready for use, and my MIL will be out of luck]. Not, What's the worst that can happen...[people will go to the hospital with lye burns and I will single-handedly destroy the handmade soap industry.]

All the same, with only two batches of CP soap under your belt and a very short window of time. I suggest you not make this soap for your MILs co-workers. With the ingredients you have, you might consider some nice lotion bars as a MIL compromise and tell her you'll catch her next years with some awesome soap that you put thought, effort and experience into. (You can always kiss that up some with "Oh, I want anything I make for you to be special and perfect". - blah blah.)

What about doing melt and pour this year, then lye soap next year? Melt and pour is fairly predictable and hard to mess up.

I really like this idea. That way you don’t have to say no to your mother in law, but you don’t have to worry about the soaps not working out either. (Have you learned to do the zap test?)

To be fair, you could probably go ahead anyway, but definitely it’s not a time to try a new recipe. Go with tried-and-true or with melt and pour.

I should add, just last weekend my mother asked me to make some specific soaps that she could give for Christmas gifts. I've been soaping for many many years. Though what she was asking for is a recipe I do often and well, I told her no. IMO, it's too late to start something under-the-gun. With a decent cure time of 4 weeks (I really like a 6-week cure) I'd be right on top of her deadline and it's simply not worth the risk. (And yes, sometimes we are pompous, but it's well earned.):)

What about doing melt and pour this year, then lye soap next year? Melt and pour is fairly predictable and hard to mess up.

LOL, you've never seen some of my M&Ps.

Thank you, Gini, that's exactly what I mean.

I was trying to find a "tried and true" recipe, but I've had trouble finding any without palm oil. If you know of any that you'd like to share, please do!

MP is not my style, but thank you for the suggestion!

How does this recipe look?

1% beeswax
1% castor oil
38% almond oil
30% coconut oil
30% lard

If I make this in the next day or two, it should be ready for Christmas, right? Any red flags or anything else I should watch out for?

Don't use beeswax - it's problematic in cp soap.
Up the castor oil to 5%
The rest is fine. Almond oil is lovely.

Back