Marmite

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I needed a teaspoon on marmite for a recipe but of course the jar I bought is 4oz (doubt I could have found smaller if I tried). I found a recipe for a Chex mix but two recipes will only take up so much of the jar before we get sick of them. Anyone have any good recipes for the rest?

Also does anyone know if marmite crockpots well? I crockpot cook more than anything else but am coming up at a loss as to an application. Tasting it alone I get similar flavor profiles to hoisin sauce, could I use the two interchangeably?

Marmite is the British (older) relative of Vegemite. I've tried it on toast. Don't like it.

But ... it does go well in beef stews ... a splash of Worcestershire sauce in the mix, maybe some brown sugar and tomato paste, pepper, salt and a whole lot of root vegetables, and you'll end up with something quite tasty.

In other words, it works well as a concentrated stock, and yes, it crockpots well.

(And, like all awful ingredients, it won't die, but rather it will continue to exist happily in the back of the cupboard for years past it's best before date, until you get sick of looking at it ... unchanged ... foreeeeeevvver)

Eeewwwwww! Tastes exactly like vomit to me. My parents used to think it a hoot to make me a nice sandwich, and slather a little marmite on one half. Not to mention a cheese that tasted like earwax, and other horrors.

It's packed with umami (which is monosodium glutamate ) and it will go a long way toward making vegetarian/vegan foods taste "complete" - like an entree instead of a side. For instance if you're making vegan chili, a bit of marmite or vegemite will make it a lot more "meaty" similar to using ground mushrooms. Look at foods with autolyzed yeast in the ingredients, and that's likely something that your version of would benefit from a bit more umami from your Marmite.

I love vegemite thinly spread on buttered toast. Marmite is not my favourite.
Both are great to add flavour to stews and gravy - it adds colour and a salty flavour so don't add salt as well.

Otherwise follow salted figs advice!

I'm with you, vegemite on toast - yum. Marmite doesn't even come close.

I'm no fan of Marmite or Vegemite either.

Susie, I think you have to be an aussie to like vegemite, a lot of us grew up on it.

Latest posts

Back