Do I need a Preservative?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the question of optiphen, I use it in my lotion. I haven't made lotion in quite some time, but if I recall correctly, it needs to be added below a certain temperature, requires a certain ph range, and can seperate some different products. I've never had problems with it in my lotion, however. Search it out on soap queen, and definitely familarize yourself with swift crafty monkeys blog. It has much better details on preservatives and their best uses in which products etc.

Edit to add, I've read about small time soapers making health claims on their eo blends get taken by the fda. Honestly, their fines can be steep. Optiphen is probably a good choice, but research the stipulations ie ph range temps etc.

On the question of optiphen, I use it in my lotion. I haven't made lotion in quite some time, but if I recall correctly, it needs to be added below a certain temperature, requires a certain ph range, and can seperate some different products. I've never had problems with it in my lotion, however. Search it out on soap queen, and definitely familarize yourself with swift crafty monkeys blog. It has much better details on preservatives and their best uses in which products etc.

Edit to add, I've read about small time soapers making health claims on their eo blends get taken by the fda. Honestly, their fines can be steep. Optiphen is probably a good choice, but research the stipulations ie ph range temps etc.

I suggest Optiphen plus. It has a broader range. And going back to that natural statement, you do know that there are natural things out there that can kill you faster than the synthetic, right? I get where you're coming from but Natural does not equate to safer and that marketing ploy seems to have affected and efficiently overriden common sense as a whole in may people.

I suggest Optiphen plus. It has a broader range. And going back to that natural statement, you do know that there are natural things out there that can kill you faster than the synthetic, right? I get where you're coming from but Natural does not equate to safer and that marketing ploy seems to have affected and efficiently overriden common sense as a whole in may people.

Yeah, staph infection is "natural" as in found in nature lol. Thx! It's been a year since I made lotion. I'll look into optiphen plus now! :)

Back