Vanilla Color Stabilizer

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of a batch of Sugared Spruce made with BCN's vanilla stabilizer that I made 2 years ago in October of 2015. I have 1 bar left over from this batch and I just now checked on it. It still looks exactly like the pic below that I took 2 years ago. No change in color at all (still smells great, too). The entire batch has both the stabilizer and Sugared Spruce FO in it, except for the white snowdrift on the bottom, which contains only the stabilizer and a little TD.

The wispy swirls on top were made with a portion of my fragranced blue batter that I had set aside to swirl with a small bit of un-fragranced batter mixed with silver mica. I meant for the swirls to be more distinct, but as you can see, I became a little overzealous in my swirling endeavors near the top- the two colors intermingle a bit too much, making for a muddied, light silvery-blue swirl in several areas. But I'm glad I was overzealous, because it advantageously shows off how well the stabilizer is working, i.e., those areas where the unscented silvery-white batter got mixed in with the scented blue batter are still as light, silvery-blue as they look below. No discoloration at all. The white 'snow' that you see throughout the main body are flakes from a bar of one of my salt soap batches.

For what it's worth, when I added the FO to my batter that already contained the stabilizer and my blue colorant, everything went GREEN. Happily, as you can see, it all ended up the way I had intended after a good gel. :)

IMG_3232SugaredSpruce640.JPG

IrishLass :)

Yep, I think with stabilizer gel is the key. without gelling, it may not go dark brown, but it will stay the yellowish color that the batter gets after adding it.
That's never a problem with me because I gel all of my soaps except my beer and goats milk soaps. With those soaps, I still use stabilizer, I just try to work with the colors they are going to end up instead of trying to fight it. Usually never have a problem.

I was just looking at NG's vanilla stabilizer. I made a really pretty dragon's blood soap with flames in the center, and the yellow and orange have turned brown. So disappointing. Glad I read this thread, I will order the stabilizer recommended.

Back