Making a black soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to preserving black soap as the preserve of African women, I think that horse has already bolted. You can buy African Black Soap melt and pour and special additives to add to your cold process soap to make it "African Black soap. I also think a lot of the more commercially available black soap is factory made. Sorry to be a real party pooper but I suspect that real African black soap probably would be illegal to sell in the UK and Europe as I doubt the traditional methods of making it would pass certification for safety reasons.

When it comes to preserving black soap as the preserve of African women, I think that horse has already bolted.
LOL You made me laugh. Ain't that the truth, tho! Well said. :thumbup:

But, at the same time, kudos to Carolyn for doing her part to help women in Africa to improve their status. It's a good thing. I'm actually inspired by her comments to suggest to my soaping buddies who make ABS to sell to maybe do the same?

To Tochie: I have a ton of research on ABS somewhere in my files and if I can ever find it (pathetic, I know) I'd be happy to help you try to make it... when and if I have time, of course. :)

Namaste [emoji1431]

I did post the name of a book I found on Ebay the other day but the post didn't work. Here it is - African Black Soap & How To Make It by Melinda Rolf. I found it when I was looking for some to buy, just out of interest (though I suspect its illegal it is still readily available, but then so is crack cocaine I suppose. There's a thought, cocaine soap. That would give you a bit of zip and zing in the morning shower! No, that is not a recommendation, either the soap or the book! Really - don't try it! I bet this post is deleted for leading new soap makers astray!

When it comes to preserving black soap as the preserve of African women, I think that horse has already bolted. You can buy African Black Soap melt and pour and special additives to add to your cold process soap to make it "African Black soap. I also think a lot of the more commercially available black soap is factory made. Sorry to be a real party pooper but I suspect that real African black soap probably would be illegal to sell in the UK and Europe as I doubt the traditional methods of making it would pass certification for safety reasons.
That may be true and the Dodu Osum is manufactured and not not at all similiar to ABS. It is fine if one wants to make it but I stick to the opinion that is should not be sold as ABS. Even though you probably cannot sell it in the UK but can you purchase it for personal use? People are always going to try and duplicate, but even village to village cannot duplicate ABS. So I only say, sell it as black soap but do not try to say it is ABS. I make black soap, but it is activated charcoal soap and I have added in powdered plantain, but that does not mean it is ABS.
Here is a link in the UK for ABS http://www.belenostherapy.co.uk/ourshop/prod_765665-African-Black-Soap-Natural-Ghana-Soap.html

Last edited:
"...When it comes to preserving black soap as the preserve of African women, I think that horse has already bolted...."

True that. But even though others are taking unfair advantage of the handcrafts and traditions of certain cultural groups, that does not make this practice okay. And the horse might return to the barn if enough people act to stop the unfairness. It's been done in the past; it can happen again. Sometimes the makers have the financial clout to make the point; sometimes it's the consumers who have to speak up.

The hard working weavers of South America, for example, are frustrated and angry about having their traditional designs copied and cheaply mass produced so other people can make money selling "South American handwoven goods." No one of them has the resources to fight the copyright violations, but some are banding together and pooling their resources to challenge the copy-cats.

I imagine soap makers in Africa feel the same about outsiders latching onto making, using, and selling "African black soap" that doesn't have a hint of Africa about it and certainly doesn't bring any money to their businesses and communities.

There's nothing wrong with riffing on the general concept of a generic "black soap", however, because no one group has a lock-hold on using various carbon-based materials in soap. So have a go at it, but make the soap your own creation and let it stand on its own merit.

So how would a soap maker do a legitimate riff on the "black soap" idea? The easiest is to use of powdered activated carbon -- it's roughly equivalent to using ashes, although I concede it doesn't have the same "back to nature" feel as real ashes. So what about using ash from one's local plants to make the soap? For me, a native born Iowan living in Iowa, I'd probably create an Iowa black soap made with ashes of corn (maize) plants.

"...What actual amount/quantity of base oil(e.g Coconut oil) and quantity of ash (plantain ashes) can be good to make a perfect bar of blacksoap?..."

There is no one perfect soap, and ABS is a great example of that, as Carolyn points out. Even the people who make this soap as part of their cultural tradition may not be able to give you exact numbers even if they were inclined to share.

In reply to cmzaha, yes I think you can probably buy "for personal use" (sounds more like a drug than ever). I think you would have to import it direct from Africa yourself. If you bought it wholesale from Africa and tried to sell it in Europe, then I think you would be breeching regulations. The EU set standards for manufacturers and retailers to meet whether or not you are resident or importing, and as someone who has gone to a lot of time, trouble and expense getting my recipes formally certified for legal sale, I think this is entirely fair. There is nothing to stop anyone from going through the process, as I have done. But I think it is very unlikely that traditionally made soap would pass certification as safe for use and sale to the public. This does mean that traditional products and methods of manufacture are at a disadvantage and possibly in the long term and, unless maintained by a few hobbyists, will probably disappear. Which is very sad, but what price safety? The alternative is we go back to Victorian times when people used to arsenic in sweets to colour them green and make bread with ground limestone.

LOL You made me laugh. Ain't that the truth, tho! Well said. :thumbup:

But, at the same time, kudos to Carolyn for doing her part to help women in Africa to improve their status. It's a good thing. I'm actually inspired by her comments to suggest to my soaping buddies who make ABS to sell to maybe do the same?

To Tochie: I have a ton of research on ABS somewhere in my files and if I can ever find it (pathetic, I know) I'd be happy to help you try to make it... when and if I have time, of course. :)

Namaste [emoji1431]

Sure...will b so grateful..[emoji1431][emoji1431][emoji1431]❤️

@Zany_in_CO sure...will b so grateful [emoji1431][emoji1431][emoji177]

African Black Soap

I am sort of a newbie myself (a few months into it) having only a few hundred bars under my belt now. A friend of mine asked for something for her black daughter's dry skin and after Googling I found African Black Soap. Looking into it I determined that I will not attempt this for a few reasons; 1.) too labor intensive and therefore decreasing my profit margin 2.) I stumbled upon the Ghana Soap School and learned that this is a vocational school that is providing soap making and business skills to students throughout Africa and the USA. In my opinion it appears to be giving students a leg up to achieve financial independence. 3.) And if I really want to purchase African Black Soap I can though Bulk Apothecary or another vendor and make my life easier. :)

And for now, I have suggested a nice Shea butter soap for my friend's daughter to see how that works. If it doesn't then I will direct her to Bulk to place an order or better yet, find a vendor graduate of the Ghana School who would like to sell some. :)

I am sort of a newbie myself (a few months into it) having only a few hundred bars under my belt now. A friend of mine asked for something for her black daughter's dry skin and after Googling I found African Black Soap. Looking into it I determined that I will not attempt this for a few reasons; 1.) too labor intensive and therefore decreasing my profit margin 2.) I stumbled upon the Ghana Soap School and learned that this is a vocational school that is providing soap making and business skills to students throughout Africa and the USA. In my opinion it appears to be giving students a leg up to achieve financial independence. 3.) And if I really want to purchase African Black Soap I can though Bulk Apothecary or another vendor and make my life easier. :)

And for now, I have suggested a nice Shea butter soap for my friend's daughter to see how that works. If it doesn't then I will direct her to Bulk to place an order or better yet, find a vendor graduate of the Ghana School who would like to sell some. :)
Glad you decided not to try to make and sell it. It needs to be reserved for the People of Ghana to help support their villages. All said, I have never found it to be great soap. I used to have a supplier that imported it in. A few months of making soap and selling....:headbanging: nope I will behave :silent:

.............I hear your concern for the women of Ghana and your point is well made, but even if I wanted to make ABS and sell it, I need the $$$ just as much as they do, maybe even more.............

You are more in need of money than village women in Africa? REALLY? Not to mention, while charities are active there (as they are where you are, I imagine) the ability to produce something for profit rather than live from hand-outs is life changing for them.

Of all the exceedingly odd things you have posted, this is certainly top 5.

Back