Pretzel Crack

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ETA: This is a tweak on the Christmas Crack recipe navigator9 posted last year.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=57642

I did not recall it when I saw the video on YouTube, but sure enough, it is really similar!

I made pretzel crack for the folks at work the other day because the humidity was too high for any other candy. It was awesome!

2 sticks of salted butter (not margarine, use the good stuff)
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown, but the dark tastes better)
1 bag (2 cups) chocolate chips (either milk chocolate or semi-sweet)
1/2 bag of shaped pretzels (use whatever shape you like, just not the sticks)

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Line a jelly roll pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. Pour 1/2 bag of pretzels and spread out to an even layer. You should have mostly a single layer.

Melt the butter in heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar. Bring to a rolling boil for 4 full minutes. Pour over the pretzels. Don't worry about getting it evened out, it will level itself in the oven.

Bake for 5 minutes at 425 F.

Pour chocolate chips evenly over toffee and pretzels. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread with silicone spatula. Chill in refrigerator until hard.

Lift crack from pan by aluminum foil edges. Turn over. Peel foil off back, and break up into smaller pieces. Let sit at room temperature open to air until crack warms up to room temperature. It will sweat if you try to bag it while it is cold.

Last edited:
Here's another easy sweet treat to make, Susie, and it would fit right in with your "crack." :) If you keep it in an airtight container until serving time, it will stay crispy and nice. Puppy Chow is a party staple here in Iowa. It is awfully tasty, even though it does look vaguely like dog kibble. I don't know what the popularity of this treat says about us Iowans, but it's addictively good.

Puppy Chow

Put 9 cups of cereal (Chex or Crispix are ideal) in a bowl and set it aside.

Microwave 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and 1/4 cup of butter or margarine for 30-second increments until the mixture can be stirred to a smooth consistency. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt. Pour over the bowl of cereal, mixing until it's evenly coated.

Dump it into a 2-gallon zipper-lock bag, add in 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, and shake.

Last edited:
Here's another easy sweet treat to make, Susie, and it would fit right in with your "crack." :) If you keep it in an airtight container until serving time, it will stay crispy and nice. Puppy Chow is a party staple here in Iowa. It is awfully tasty, even though it does look vaguely like dog kibble. I don't know what the popularity of this treat says about us Iowans, but it's addictively good.

Puppy Chow

Put 9 cups of cereal (Chex or Crispix are ideal) in a bowl and set it aside.

Microwave 1 cup of semisweet chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of peanut butter, and 1/4 cup of butter or margarine for 30-second increments until the mixture can be stirred to a smooth consistency. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla and a pinch of salt. Pour over the bowl of cereal, mixing until it's evenly coated.

Dump it into a 2-gallon zipper-lock bag, add in 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar, and shake.

Puppy Chow is SO good! Thank you for the recipe!

Pretzel Crack sounds really good and i like Puppy Chow. Another easy sweet salty treat for you:
3 Corn Crunch:

2 bags microwave popcorn (popped)
3 Cups Fritos (lightly smashed in the bag)
3 Cups Corn Pops Cereal
1 lb. White Chocolate Bark or White Chocolate Chips Melted

Mix the popcorn, fritos and corn pop then add white chocolate and mix well.

I made pretzel crack for the folks at work the other day because the humidity was too high for any other candy. It was awesome!

2 sticks of salted butter (not margarine, use the good stuff)
1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown, but the dark tastes better)
1 bag (2 cups) chocolate chips (either milk chocolate or semi-sweet)
1/2 bag of shaped pretzels (use whatever shape you like, just not the sticks)

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Line a jelly roll pan with heavy duty aluminum foil. Pour 1/2 bag of pretzels and spread out to an even layer. You should have mostly a single layer.

Melt the butter in heavy bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar. Bring to a rolling boil for 4 full minutes. Pour over the pretzels. Don't worry about getting it evened out, it will level itself in the oven.

Bake for 5 minutes at 425 F.

Pour chocolate chips evenly over toffee and pretzels. Let sit for 5 minutes. Spread with silicone spatula. Chill in refrigerator until hard.

Lift crack from pan by aluminum foil edges. Turn over. Peel foil off back, and break up into smaller pieces. Let sit at room temperature open to air until crack warms up to room temperature. It will sweat if you try to bag it while it is cold.

I've never made the one with pretzels, but last year I posted the Christmas Crack recipe, very similar, except it uses Saltines instead of pretzels. These concoctions are dangerously addictive. And it doesn't help that they're easy to make. And you really need to bag them and get them out of the house, because if you don't, well, good luck resisting temptation!

I've never made the one with pretzels, but last year I posted the Christmas Crack recipe, very similar, except it uses Saltines instead of pretzels. These concoctions are dangerously addictive. And it doesn't help that they're easy to make. And you really need to bag them and get them out of the house, because if you don't, well, good luck resisting temptation!

Sorry, I forgot you posted the Christmas Crack! Yes, these need to be given away VERY rapidly! Otherwise they are going to be gone!

Thank you!!! I've been looking for a recipe like this. I wonder if parchment paper will work as well as (or better than) foil. I tend to end up with foil sticking to my stuff for some odd reason.

I do too, Teresa -- parchment paper is my friend. Go for it!

I made this recipe today, because I wanted to try it with pretzels. Amazing! Can't say which I like better. I love the sweet/salty thing and they're both dangerous!!! I'm delivering cookies tomorrow, but that leaves tonight and tomorrow morning...HELP!

Back