Unofficial customers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayBird

Reaction score
I am not a seller, but I had a request to make a loaf that someone's grandma fell in love with. I'm fine with that. I'm certainly overflowing with soap!

The problem is the grandma is insisting on paying. I said no, because I don't have the insurance or tax license to be doing business transactions. It has to be a gift. Then they said they'll pay for supplies. Is that or is that not a business transaction?

In most cases yes it is, but the bigger picture here makes me question why you ask such a " technical" question.

Are you afraid that the grandma might sue you for damage done by your soap? Are you afraid the state might come after you for sales tax? Are you afraid of the FDA knocking on your door for lack of proper labeling?

Frankly I'd make grandma her soap, if she insisted on paying you for supplies I'd thank her graciously. Honestly I think you are splitting hairs here.

Would I do this each month? No. I wouldn't worry about making a gift of it whether it was partially paid for or not.

I'm not worried about this family or the FDA coming after me. They are friends who I've foisted my extra soap on for a while. They've come to like certain kinds and asked for more as friends.

I am asking my soap friends on the board to help me articulate the reasons I'm gifting to friends. I don't want to monetize my hobby. This is the first time I've been asked to make something specific for someone. So far, if someone liked a bar I gave them, then I gave them a few extras from my closet and that was that. I haven't done anything by request.

Disclaimer: for a brief time, I sold stain sticks in a store. Then the store closed and I didn't sell anything else. At that time, I had the insurance and tax license. It's not worth the hassle to get all that again just for special requests.

Last edited:
P.S. I am a hair splitter by nature. LOL. My real job invovles compliance with federal regulations, so I get super freaky about little details. Yeah, I'm super popular. LOL.

If Happy Grandma shows up on your doorstep with a Wal Mart bag of shortening, coconut oil and a jug of olive oil as a lovely gift that is her decision. If you are so grateful that you run downstairs to your soap room and wrap up a loaf of Grandma's favorite soap to thank her, then that is your decision.

Keep the gifts between yourselves and I don't believe anyone is harmed or any problems should arise. Do it everyday and sure, that could easily be seen as a business transaction, but once a year between family or friends and I personally don't think it can do any harm.

And if you do take a few bucks for ingredients, take cash, not check. It's not traceable for suing purposes. :)

I hear you on the nerves, though. I do it every time I give away one of my soap children to somebody who's a friend of a friend. I'm far less concerned about my mom suing me, she'd probably just call me and guilt me for a couple hours.

Thank you both. I'm probably being too weird about the situation. I tend to over analyse.

My neighbour is a truck driver I give him some of my soap last Christmas and he likes it, he said it did not dried his hand and clean his hand very well. He wanted to buy a soap but I told him I can't EU's law but he give me money for the ingredients and some Scottish shortbread ( as a reward) so that I can make him some soap.

MorpheusPA, I love that you referenced your soap as children! Is it weird that I stare at my little babies in their drying racks/cribs and sigh at their beauty? LOL.

They are our children. Some of us just happen to have 300-500 of them around most time....lol I too would just make it and if she wants to give you some money for supplies that's totally fine. It's not like you are selling mass quantities. I had friends and family slip me a few bucks here and there for supplies since I kept them in soap and other products while I worked on my formulas. Now for the most part they are all paying customers with the exception of a few immediate family members (mom & sisters) that just take what they need.

MorpheusPA, I love that you referenced your soap as children! Is it weird that I stare at my little babies in their drying racks/cribs and sigh at their beauty? LOL.

If that is weird, I don't wanna be normal.

My primary soap rack is behind me in my office closet. I turn around to check them occasionally.

Until they grow up, you can't be too careful. I'm afraid they'll start hanging out with synthetic detergents and get bad ideas.

If that is weird, I don't wanna be normal.

My primary soap rack is behind me in my office closet. I turn around to check them occasionally.

Until they grow up, you can't be too careful. I'm afraid they'll start hanging out with synthetic detergents and get bad ideas.

How many weeks you keep your babies in your rack before you keep them away?

How many weeks you keep your babies in your rack before you keep them away?

It depends. Some water-discounted stuff can be put into drawers (open sides, slatted, so good airflow) pretty fast. My last gardener's soap got put away in about a week, but it was already rock solid.

I do like to leave my bastille soap out for a full month, but I'm aware that this is overkill. And if the rack gets full, into the storage drawers they start going.

Rack space is limited to about a hundred at the moment, so the progression is fast in February when I'm making the bastille soap for next Christmas.

It depends. Some water-discounted stuff can be put into drawers (open sides, slatted, so good airflow) pretty fast. My last gardener's soap got put away in about a week, but it was already rock solid.

I do like to leave my bastille soap out for a full month, but I'm aware that this is overkill. And if the rack gets full, into the storage drawers they start going.

Rack space is limited to about a hundred at the moment, so the progression is fast in February when I'm making the bastille soap for next Christmas.

Wow that's a big soap rack mine I can just out 40 to 50 soaps.

Wow that's a big soap rack mine I can just out 40 to 50 soaps.

I cheat. Initial overflow goes into 1020 seedling trays that have cracked after use--and after they've been cleaned and disinfected. Those can go onto unusual places like the tops of my bookshelves, the guest bedroom bureau, and so on.

I have this thing about throwing away anything I can repurpose...

Morpheus, you sound like me... I've been known to have every flat surface covered in racks... Dining room table (which rarely gets used), china cabinet, bookshelves ... think I need a new house just for crafting in :p

Understand your situation, having the job you do, but life is short and some things are really not worth worrying about!

Oh, you have no idea how boorish I can be with details. I've actually read very large sections of the Code of Federal Regulations, and drafted white papers on them. And I completely geek out on the job when I get to write technical documents.

Yep, I'm THAT person. The only interesting thing about me is soap.

Oh, you have no idea how boorish I can be with details. I've actually read very large sections of the Code of Federal Regulations, and drafted white papers on them. And I completely geek out on the job when I get to write technical documents.

Yep, I'm THAT person. The only interesting thing about me is soap.

Not true. As a person who can't tolerate details and perfection, I find people who's brains thrive on it fascinating. My brain shuts down when faced with details!

Not true. As a person who can't tolerate details and perfection, I find people who's brains thrive on it fascinating. My brain shuts down when faced with details!

That's very sweet of you. I have been successful in my line of work because I see the world in very small pieces. I do things like soaping or singing in a choir because nobody wants to hear me drone on about Title 38 of the CFR or something like that. :yawn:

Back