You think I would learn..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not to soap when people are around and I'm distracted. I had a nice white and black in the pot swirl planned for individual molds.
Had all my oils, additives and FO weighed out and ready to go, just waiting on the lye to cool. Double checked my notes multiple times to make sure I had everything.

Took the lye out of the freezer, added the sodium lactate and slowly mixed it in to the oils. This recipe moves kinda fast so I was ready to scent and separate at emulsion. Started blending, got instant pudding, panicked and dumped in the FO and charcoal. Figured a all black soap was ok at this point. I even added a extra ounce of water hoping to thin the mess down so I could get it in the molds.

Took one last look at the stove top to make sure I didn't miss anything and guess what sits there? My big container of liquid oils, what a duh moment I had! I have never in the year since I started soaping, forgot to mix my liquid oils into the melted hard oils.

Now I have 2 lbs of anise soap that is the color of wet concrete. Hubby said its **** ugly and I tend to agree. Can't wait until he get to use it lol. Its fishermans soap. Not sure if it will help remove fishy smelly but I really hope it does.

I am so sorry for your hassle!

If it makes you feel any better the fishing soap I made for hubby finished curing a few weeks ago and he has been outfishing most out there. That anise works!

I added fine pumice too mine for a bit of scrubby, its feels nice without being scratchy. I really like pink and grey together, someday I might do one but I'm at a loss for a proper scent.

oh dear! we all have "duh" moments! I'm sure it's not THAT ugly. we'll need a pic to verify.... lol

I hear you. I completely botched a fairly simple tilted tiger stripe because the dogs were pestering and whining and completely out of their minds. They were safely outside, but would not shut up. Constantly distracted, I miscalculated the amount of one color, the EO accelerated like a superbike, I screwed up the pour completely and ended up doing the glop. In utter despair I threw it in the fridge and tried to forget about how much that lavender EO costs.

That's two botches in a row of techniques I thought I had down.:cry:

/ps I have also made a concrete soap. Talk about a rebatch going completely into the weeds. :oops:

Aww dang, that's a major bummer but I'm still curious to see how your fisherman's soap turns out! I recently made a beer batch scented with basil & eucalyptus EOs that ended up smelling like anise/black licorice. It was an accidental discovery so thought I would share.

Aw. Well it's for fishermen, tell them it's camouflaged rock soap :shifty:
I adore the scent of my anise soap, Im sure it will smell and clean well.

Latest posts

Back