Natural Laundry Soap (no shredding)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Green Question

@ Sweetums - (like your username):

Thanks Hazel.

I have a few more "Green" Questions, hence the color. I get stumped by the abbreviations, what is CO and OTOH and OP? Is there a place for Newbies (feels more like a Dummies) like me can look up the meanings?

Yet another "Green" Question! : It seems to me there are a lot of people selling soap, am I wrong in thinking some of them "doctor" and use "Melt & Pour to run a business? Or is it like Bakeries? They all use mix and tell everyone it's scratch? (I was a Wedding Cake Designer, hence my name.)

can't wait to start experimenting by really making soap (for me, making my own involves lye). My 12 year old daughter leaves for GrandMa's House (a 3 week visit) tomorrow. That ought to give me enough time to get good at using Lye

Does anyone here use Hot Process?
Which is easier Hot or Cold Process?

It seems to me there are a lot of people selling soap, am I wrong in thinking some of them "doctor" and use "Melt & Pour to run a business? Or is it like Bakeries? They all use mix and tell everyone it's scratch? (I was a Wedding Cake Designer, hence my name.)

Which is easier Hot or Cold Process?

CO - coconut oil
OP - oven process
OTOH - not sure, where did you see this acronym?

You'll find info about acronyms here --> http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f16/acronym-abbreviation-definition-thread-3789/

Some people use melt and pour bases for their soap, some people make soap with lye by CP or HP and some people buy soap loaves or soap shreds and mill or rebatch for their soap. Different strokes for different folks. :wink:

I use both cold process and hot process methods and I think both are easy. I think cold process is faster because you just blend everything together and pour into the mold. Cold process produces a finer textured soap and you can do better swirls with it. I use a crockpot for hot process so I have to keep checking on it and stirring occasionally. It produces a rougher looking bar. Again, it's just personal preference.

@ MOGal70 -

I wanted to let you know I tried a batch with reduced water like you did. Actually, I just shredded some laundry soap and melted it in water, then added the other ingredients. I was very pleased with the results. It thickened in about 4+ hours (I stirred it approximately once every hour) and then covered it to sit until the next day. I used a hand mixer to whip it and it was lovely - the texture of cool whip. I love your tip! Thanks so much for sharing it. The reduced water really cuts the time for getting it done. :grin:

CO - coconut oil
OP - oven process
OTOH - not sure, where did you see this acronym?

You'll find info about acronyms here --> http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f16/acronym-abbreviation-definition-thread-3789/

Some people use melt and pour bases for their soap, some people make soap with lye by CP or HP and some people buy soap loaves or soap shreds and mill or rebatch for their soap. Different strokes for different folks. :wink:

I use both cold process and hot process methods and I think both are easy. I think cold process is faster because you just blend everything together and pour into the mold. Cold process produces a finer textured soap and you can do better swirls with it. I use a crockpot for hot process so I have to keep checking on it and stirring occasionally. It produces a rougher looking bar. Again, it's just personal preference.

@ MOGal70 -

I wanted to let you know I tried a batch with reduced water like you did. Actually, I just shredded some laundry soap and melted it in water, then added the other ingredients. I was very pleased with the results. It thickened in about 4+ hours (I stirred it approximately once every hour) and then covered it to sit until the next day. I used a hand mixer to whip it and it was lovely - the texture of cool whip. I love your tip! Thanks so much for sharing it. The reduced water really cuts the time for getting it done. :grin:

So when you say you shredded some laundry soap......do you mean just some plain lard or coconut CP soap? If so how much shredded soap to how much water? I have thought about doing that as well. Mainly because I have wondered how fast #3 would dissolve when placed into the washer.

I have 3 recipes at the ready to work one tomorrow. #1 lard based(cream type made from scratch with lye), #2 coconut based(cream type made from scratch with lye) and #3 that is dry finely shredded CP with added Borax and Washing Soda. I have been considering making some kind of laundry soap for a while. But have really wondered how well it works compared to the store bought. I usually buy the kinds that have no scent and are supposed to be gentle for allergy prone skin.

AngelMomma, I highly recommend Mike's recipe! I cleans very well, is very easy to make and you can leave it unscented if you choose.

So when you say you shredded some laundry soap......do you mean just some plain lard or coconut CP soap? If so how much shredded soap to how much water? I have thought about doing that as well. Mainly because I have wondered how fast #3 would dissolve when placed into the washer.

100% CO batch - I shredded 16 oz and melted this in 32 oz water in my small (1.5 qt) double boiler. Mistake - next time I'll use the 3 qt double boiler. :lol: The smaller pot was fine for the soap and water. But it wasn't big enough for the powders. Had a mess but learned a lesson.

Anyhoo, I heated 64 oz water and poured the hot soap mixture into it and then stirred really well. I went back and checked the recipe I first used and I actually didn't reduce the water as much as I though I had. I've come to the conclusion it set up so quickly because I had heated everything. The first time I made laundry soap Mike's way, it did take about 3 days for the soap to set up.

I posted pics if anyone's interested in seeing the soap. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/f22/laundry-soap-version-mikeinpdx-s-36348/

I'll have to post back my opinion of this soap. I normally only use my laundry soap for sheets and towels. I use store bought for the clothes since my soap doesn't seem to get rid of the greasy smell on some clothes. I meant to buy some generic oxiclean to add to it but I forgot to get it. This might have helped to get rid of the odor. I'll try this soap on different loads to see how they turn out.

Thank you Hazel!

You're welcome!

BTW, I found 1 cup of this would clean a load of jeans and leave them fresh smelling. The load of jeans I did with only 1/2 cup still have a greasy odor. :(

Try using Hydrogen Peroxide in leu of oxyclean.
Add after wash starts

How much hydrogen peroxide would be needed? If a large amount would be required, it would probably be cheaper to buy the dollar store's generic version of oxiclean.

Can I just say again, I LOVE YOU GUYS! I'm going to try this today, using the coconut oil version. Thank you!!!!!

Are there any people who've been using homemade laundry detergent for several years?
I'd love to give it a try, but I'm worried how it would effect the colors and texture of my clothing.

Most of my laundry is white or dark/black. Do those colors stay true?
And do you use it for knitwear too?

I just stumbled upon this thread, and I have been using homemade for a few years on a front load washer. i love the clean smell on my clothes. we have hard water, so the inside of the washer does get scummy, but it's not too bad. i put the washer in its own clean cycle and it cleans it right now. I've been using the powder/grate version, but i'm thinking i'll give this method a try when i run out...

thanks everyone for this thread!

OMG! It's Dennis!!!

I'm so happy to see you back! I was browsing through the forum awhile back, saw some of your old posts and wondered where you had gone. I figured you found a new forum.

On The Other Hand sounds good.

Last edited:
Hi there.

Been out of the soap thing for a little while. There's so much around the house, under the beds, in bookcases, and now in two different college dorms as both of my loin fruits have departed until summer. (short hijack - sorry)

Laundry soap - I've been using the Fels Naptha, Borax, Washing Soda cooked recipe for ohhhhhh, a pretty good while. Just finished a batch the other day. A 1.5 gallon Schwans ice cream tub (love their Vanilla!) holds one batch and lasts about 6 weeks; probably longer now that the hellions have temporarily relocated. I have made at least 6 batches of this laundry recipe and still have the original boxes of Borax and Washing Soda. I keep 3 bars of Fels Naptha on the shelf waiting. It's only $0.97 a bar. It has saved me a lot of money. There hasn't been a box of Tide in the house in ages. I made the first batch after procrastinating long enough for my lovely, mysterious, far eastern soaping assistant and mother of my children, keeper of the cats (aka - wife) paid $16 for the last box of Tide ever to come to our home.
If you haven't made a batch, do it. You'll be glad. DISCLAIMER - I am unconcerned with fabrics, water temps, etc. All of my clothes are washed using the "bachelor method", just throw it all in and wash it. Works fine.

Been out of the soap thing for a little while. There's so much around the house, under the beds, in bookcases, and now in two different college dorms as both of my loin fruits have departed until summer. (short hijack - sorry)

I understand. I also haven't been making much soap because I have so much now. I'm just glad to see you again.

I can't answer Dagmar's question because I only use this soap for sheets, towels, jeans - mainly things I don't care about if they fade or yellow. I have to confess I still use store bought for the "good" clothes. However, I like the store bought because it is formulated for sensitive skin and unscented.

I've made my batch of the cream soap recipe and I'm totally sold. I've done a few loads now and love it. In the past I've used the "Grate a bar soap, washing soda and borax" recipe for a long time. I might like this cream soap better. My clothes seem softer, fluffier and cleaner for some reason. I haven't ever purchased the felts napha bar, I've just ground up my own soap scraps....I bet the napha bar would make a cleaner load of laundry? I think all our clothes have been fine, but we really don't have anything real delicate. Also most clothes we have are from the resale shops. Love these recipes!

I've been thinking about it but now, OK I'm "ALL IN BABY"! And here's why. Some time back I was reading a thread about cleaning up after making soap. Somebody mentioned that she uses old towels instead of paper to wipe all the soap out in the initial cleaning phase. Then she just throws them in the washer and they come out clean, to reuse next time. I have been using quite a lot of paper towels, so I thought OK I'll try it. So Saturday I make soap, I then wipe all my pot , spoons etc.. off with my soaping towels, but before I start the load ... my husband who has been deer hunting, comes in with the old sheet I gave him to wrap his deer in. So I think this will be a good test, did I mention I also had spilled some red mica powder, so that was on my towels, and the soap I made was "red" and white. So now I have blood ,and red coloring plus my soaping apron which has been through a lot and is quite stained, all in my washer. I used warm water regular wash with no added laundry soap. I'm telling you I wish I had before and after pictures!!! Seriously everything it cleaner then I even imagined. :thumbup: Even the old stains and blood came out. I'm thinking if this new ripe soap can clean like this what will happen if I actually make laundry soap?

Next stop Homemade Laundry Soap, O Yeah!:grin:

I have been using the cream laundry soap for awhile now. I am making it with lard. When I first used it on a load of towels I was floored at how soft and fluffy they were! No fabric softener or anything. I love it and will continue using it for sure!

Latest posts

Back