Laundry Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Use just laundry soap without the washing soda?

1. Related to the brief conversation between Ladybug Soapworks and IanT, is it actually possible to use just the grated laundry soap (no borax, washing soda, etc.) in the top-loading washing machine -- has anyone used it, and what was your experience? And I guess I need to use vinegar in the last rinse?

2. Doesn't washing soda make coloured clothes dull? (That's why I'm trying to eliminate it.)

3. I saw a post at http://butterbeliever.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap-diy/, which is in complete opposition to what is being discussed in these threads. It has me all confused! Where does the truth lie? :confused:

1. .... is it actually possible to use just the grated laundry soap (no borax, washing soda, etc.) in the top-loading washing machine -- has anyone used it, and what was your experience? And I guess I need to use vinegar in the last rinse?

2. Doesn't washing soda make coloured clothes dull? (That's why I'm trying to eliminate it.)

3. I saw a post at http://butterbeliever.com/homemade-laundry-detergent-soap-diy/, which is in complete opposition to what is being discussed in these threads. It has me all confused! Where does the truth lie? :confused:

1) Sure! I make a gift batch of stain sticks (heavy on the coconut and tallow) every year. In a pinch, you can (and we all have) grated it right into the washing machine. The washing soda is there as a water softener and to raise the pH of the water so the soap can work better, but if your water is soft, it's absolutely unnecessary.

I always use vinegar in water (3:28 ratio to make a full quart at a time) as a final rinse. I like the scent, the washer cleansing, and the anti-static.

2) Not that I've ever noticed, and I've been using my own laundry soap for years. I did shift the ratios, though: 3 part soap, 2 parts washing soda, 1 part borax. My water is very soft. Still, that would be enough to dull colors over time and it simply doesn't happen. One or two of my dress shirts still require batteries to operate. :)

Please note that one component she uses to get rid of all that icky "residue" is washing soda. All clothes have residue, and it might be wise to do that soak every once in a very great while if you want to get rid of it. I never bother.

3) She's selling laundry "soap" herself, from Young Living (I will restrain myself from making comments about the company, but go do the research). Please note the ingredients she touts:

Water -- useless, and usually in third or fourth place in our recipes by the time they fully cure. Or lower.
Decyl glucoside -- A weak surfactant, and also synthetic. That's fine, and it's quite safe (and used in baby shampoos!), but quite weak also limits its cleansing power.
Sodium oleate-- Olive oil soap, sort of. So much for not using soap in your washing machine, eh? It's a weak soap, too. This is a direct derivative of oleic acid rather than the sodium olivate (olive oil soap from whole olive oil) that we would make.
Glycerin-- We have that too, and it's not useful as a cleanser.

Below that, the ingredients are pretty insignificant, and fairly derivative of the above list.

I won't go into the chemistry argument she makes because I will get very, very angry if I do, and it's Thanksgiving Day. I have family to deal with later!

Happy Thanksgiving, and Soap On! And use your laundry soap in peace and certainty that it's just fine.

This page is a mix of fact, fiction and advertising, designed to encourage purchase of a YL brand detergent. I'd be taking what they've said with the same level of trust that you would apply to any other form of advertising.

And, just for icing, if you look at the list of ingredients on the product, active ingredient number 2 (3 if you include the water) is sodium oleate.

Sodium Oleate is ordinary, lye based soap, made from olive oil.

:roll:

3. I saw a post at [removed], which is in complete opposition to what is being discussed in these threads. It has me all confused! Where does the truth lie? :confused:

This page is a mix of fact, fiction and advertising, designed to encourage purchase of a YL brand detergent. I'd be taking what they've said with the same level of trust that you would apply to any other form of advertising.

And, just for icing, if you look at the list of ingredients on the product, active ingredient number 2 (3 if you include the water) is sodium oleate.

Sodium Oleate is ordinary, lye based soap, made from olive oil.

:roll:

What she said, which is way more succinct than the blathering on I did above it.

:shark::bunny:

Thanks a ton. I think my water is reasonably soft; I probably won't do anything elaborate to figure out. I'll avoid the borax because it's controversial, but more important, because it's expensive where I live (India).

I think sodium oleate (both from you and SaltedFig) says it all!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Another question: I've been using just grated laundry soap of late (which I made -- 20% coconut oil and 80% palm oil, 0% superfat) -- no borax or washing soda. I find it works well on coloured clothes, but not so great on whites. I mean, it's probably getting the dirt out, but it's not whitening and brightening them (and I can't expect it to). Is there anything I can add to whiten and brighten my whites -- in the soap recipe itself?

OxiClean is sodium percarbonate. It's available at a lot of pool chemical stores cheaper than you can get it anywhere else, but you can do pretty well price-wise when ordering online too.

It kills two birds with one stone--in water, it breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and sodium carbonate. The hydrogen peroxide itself eventually breaks down into oxygen and water. Be sure to keep the powder very dry until use!

Commercial OxiClean is about 2/3 sodium percarbonate mixed with 1/3 sodium carbonate. You only need the sodium percarbonate.

20 Mule Team Borax (Borax by whatever company name) is more stable but not as effective. I tend to use borax instead. It's tolerant of damper conditions and still does a pretty good job on whites.

OxiClean is sodium percarbonate. It's available at a lot of pool chemical stores cheaper than you can get it anywhere else...

Thanks. I need to check, considering that pools are not so common here! But there are stores that sell chemicals, so I'll ask them. Can't I use a mixture of sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide?

Thanks. I need to check, considering that pools are not so common here! But there are stores that sell chemicals, so I'll ask them. Can't I use a mixture of sodium carbonate (washing soda) and hydrogen peroxide?

Technically? If you pour the hydrogen peroxide into the wash when you do it, yes. Keep in mind, most hydrogen peroxide mixes are only 3%, so it would take quite a bit and be pretty expensive.

You can buy more concentrated hydrogen peroxide, but be very careful with it if you do. It can be very dangerous if swallowed or splashed in your eye or on any other mucus membrane.

Sodium percarbonate has the advantage of being 1 molecule of sodium carbonate bound to 3 molecules of hydrogen peroxide, chemically a little more stable, and requiring time to break down, which gives you time to counter it before it does real damage to you.

Latest posts

Back