~*~ SMF November 2017 Challenge - 1920's Themed Soap! ~*~
~ November 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > All natural fragrance oils

Old 11-23-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
jofa

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default All natural fragrance oils

Hey guys,

I've just discovered the existence of natural fragrance oils. Since I have zero experience with US suppliers, could you point me to the reliable ones, or to sites you know sell good all natural fragrance oils?

I've seen some in BathBody supply.com; from nature with love and Sweet cakes.

I've bought some in Bulk Apothecary (already here and lovely) and Wholesale (not here yet), but that's as far as I go.

Help?
Thank you so much! <3

Old 11-24-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Primrose

Liked 113 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Not sure where to start here. It is my understanding that FOs are not considered "natural" but then again the definition of natural when it comes to soap making is quite loose

Old 11-24-2017, 03:02 AM   #3
SaltedFig

Liked 557 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Are you able to provide a link to the product you are referring to? It may help people to offer you their advice and experiences and clarify whether it is natural or synthesized.

As a general rule, fragrance oils are synthetic.

It is essential oils that are considered natural, as they are extracted directly from the plant material (often by steam distillation).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa View Post
Hey guys,

I've just discovered the existence of natural fragrance oils. Since I have zero experience with US suppliers, could you point me to the reliable ones, or to sites you know sell good all natural fragrance oils?
Primrose,

Soap is manufactured, involves a chemical reaction and is not directly extracted. So, even though soap compounds do exist in nature, the soap we make is not.

The INGREDIENTS used to make that soap can be natural or synthetic or a mixture of both.

Here in Australia the word natural is defined (in the organic certification standard), so it's a little easier for us (in that the definition is very clear).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
Not sure where to start here. It is my understanding that FOs are not considered "natural" but then again the definition of natural when it comes to soap making is quite loose

Old 11-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #4
jofa

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Hey Primrose and Saltedfig!
Sure. I used to think the same way till i found this:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com...ance-oils.aspx

And now I'm confused and super interested since my products are all natural!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:43 AM   #5
toxikon
Supporting Member
SOAP_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1402 Times on 611 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofa View Post
Hey Primrose and Saltedfig!
Sure. I used to think the same way till i found this:
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com...ance-oils.aspx

And now I'm confused and super interested since my products are all natural!
Judging by the wording, they sound like EO blends with some added "botanical" elements. I'd be interested to see ingredient lists!
NsMar42111 Likes This 
Old 11-24-2017, 04:05 AM   #6
Cellador

Liked 197 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 839

I received and tested several of the plant-based FOs in cp soap from From Nature With Love. https://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/s...rance-oils.asp
While they smell great out of the bottle, my experience of them so far is that they either fade to almost nothing after cure or they morph and do not maintain their original scent. For instance, the cherry ends up smelling floral and clean & not much like cherry at all.
If you are interested in ones on that site, let me know and I'd be happy to provide my opinion if I've tried it. My reviews are also on the FO review spreadsheet.
I have tested a few in lotions also & while they still morph a little bit, they stay strong & mostly retain their original scent.

Last edited by Cellador; 11-24-2017 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Grammar & additional info

Old 11-24-2017, 04:12 AM   #7
SaltedFig

The fact that they've referred to these as fragrance oils, and in another part of their website refer to blends of essential oils and fragrance oils, suggests to me that they have been synthesized.

They may be using the loose definition of natural that Primrose was referring to (in that the Fragrance Oil may have originated from botanical origins, but has been chemically manufactured to generate the fragrance oil). This would explain their very specific, yet vague, information. For example, as far as I know, there is no essential, or other natural, oil that smells of pineapple/coconut when it's used in soap making. That, and they've specifically said their fragrances are Phthalate free, which also suggests that they are manufactured (this claim isn't necessary for distilled oils).

They list a link to an MSDS, but this just leads back to another page, not any MSDS. Perhaps contact them (they do say that you can ask for the up to date version of the MSDS).

Old 11-24-2017, 04:13 AM   #8
jofa

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxikon View Post
Judging by the wording, they sound like EO blends with some added "botanical" elements. I'd be interested to see ingredient lists!
Same here toxicon!

Old 11-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #9
Primrose

Liked 113 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Salted Fig, can you link me to the definition of natural as it pertains to soap in Australia?

Old 11-24-2017, 04:48 AM   #10
SaltedFig

Sure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
Salted Fig, can you link me to the definition of natural as it pertains to soap in Australia?
ACOS 2017 V1, page 4 (of 100)
http://austorganic.com/wp-content/up...OS_2017_V1.pdf

Quote:
Natural:
Any material, not otherwise expressly prohibited in this Standard, which has been harvested, mined, or collected, which may be processed without chemical reaction (allowing washing, distilling, grinding/milling, separation and/or concentration of the material by physical (including steam) or biological means, to yield a material that is identifiable in the original source material.