eo's and fo's

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoyinAlaska

Reaction score
I'm confused about adding fo's and eo's to soap doesn't it change the superfat %? I don't know if that makes sense to anyone but I was looking at a recipe for pumpkin soap the other day and they added 3 oz. of fragrance oil. Surely you must take that much fragrance oil into account. I haven't been making soap for 12 years and I don't remember this ever being an issue for me. Feel awkward about asking.

No need to feel awkward asking. I like Kamahido's answer. I'll give you one too... if I'm wrong someone can correct me. We're all here to learn from each other.

FOs and EOs won't change the superfat too much - a few bits and pieces will react with lye (linalyl acetate for example reacts to create something other than soap: linalool, and perhaps some byproducts. I have memorized this because I had some failed lavender soaps I was puzzling over). Some spice components react and turn into odorless salts (I don't remember which). One way or another, we don't have lye calculations to use for them, and each fragrance would be different. So don't worry about them when calculating the superfat, you'll be close enough. The calculations are based on averages to begin with.

Latest posts

Back