~*~ SMF October 2017 Challenge - Simple Minimalistic Swirl! ~*~
~ October 2017 Challenge Photo Entry Thread~

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Soap Making Forum > Soapmaking & Candle Classifieds Forum > Shopping Recommendations > Looking for a wooden tall and skinny mould in Europe

Old 08-10-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Rune

Liked 30 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolfe View Post
Yeah I ended up making my own tall and skinny mold since I couldn't find what I wanted. There are LOTS of ideas on the web, wood is inexpensive and scrap wood even cheaper. Draw up exactly the dimensions of what you want, figure out how you want it to go together (hinges? holes and bolts?) and if you don't have the tools find a friend who does who is willing to show you how to use them. One fun thing I did on my tall and skinny mold was make some blocks that fit snugly into the mold to make it smaller if I want just half a loaf.
I had all that sorted out already, after getting inspiration from a mould someone had for sale. But, with me, everything I touch ends in disaster, even how simple it is supposed to be So that's why I want to buy. At least my first mould. But I will try to make one also.

Those who invent a soap loaf mould that is adjustable in all directions, he or she will be very rich!

Lego blocks are quite genious as well. Highly adjustable. I saw that on Youtube or somewhere else. I think it was Youtube, actually.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #12
Rune

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlene View Post
Sometimes I get very lucky at finding molds at Thrift Stores/Donation Shops, where used items are donated then sold very cheap. But so far I have never found a T&S mold. Still, it's another option for looking for adaptable wooden boxes if you have any Thrift Stores nearby.

Another option, is to contact a handyman and request help in building a mold to your specifications. I don't know what you call them in the UK, but here a 'handyman' does repairs and odd jobs for a small fee (relative to your perception of 'small' and what the local market can bear). Often they can do pretty much anything acceptably well, such as minor woodworking that making a soap mold would require.

Also, if you have places that sell new wooden boxes for use as drawer dividers inside a wardrobe/dresser/sideboard, sometimes an appropriate size box can be found that works very well for soap when lined with freezer paper. I am not sure what you call it (freezer paper) in the UK. I bought a bamboo box in the Home section of a major department store that works perfectly as a small slab mold, when lined with freezer paper. I have also seen them in a variety of sizes, so it's possible if you browse stores that sell such things, you might find something that would work for a far better price than from a Soap making supplier or on Etsy or Amazon, etc.

One other thought. I've never purchased from AliBaba, but some here on the forum have and seem pretty happy with the products. They are usually pretty inexpensive from what I gather. Perhaps they have some T&S molds?
We have some second hand shops/charity shops, but they are small and usually not have much of interest. I'm not sure if we have that wardrobe inlays, but we definately not have freezer paper. I think they have in the UK, but I'm in Norway. But instead of drawer inlays, I just found a small drawer by looking around the house, emptied out what was inside of it, and lined that with baking paper. Did work just perfect. It became a slab mold, but did work. I had to throw away the batch anyway, made a disaster, of course

But I have found something interesting. I think I can get some for free at the local "Vinmonopolet", which means "wine monopole", and is the state owned shop where you can buy alcohol (only beer is allowed in grocery stores). But sometimes the wine bottles come in wooden boxes, and they look just perfect! But not tall and skinny, but regular size. They can be ordered online as well. I found a shop in Denmark selling them, so I paste in the link so you can see what it is. They will most likely have them in your area as well, at a liquor store or something like that. But they are cheap to buy new.

http://labreno.dk/Produkter/Vinkasser.html

I think there are much nice things to find on Alibaba. I have seen a ton of Youtube videos where they use them. And they look good. But it was not the type I was looking for. I have searched Aliexpress, the site where you can buy as a private person, and they have really just like 1 type in different colours and such minor differences.

earlene Likes This 
Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM   #13
earlene
Grandmother & Soaper
SOAP_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2313 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 1767

Yes, those wine boxes are perfect. My husband even said the same thing one day. He used to work in the liquor business and they used to toss out wine boxes all the time. But that was decades ago. I do see them now and then at thrift stores, though.

I actually envy people who grow up around multiple languages because the opportunity to learn multiple languages is so great. I wish I had had more of a need to learn a few more languages when I was young and to use them as I continued in life. So many people here in the US don't really understand what it is like to live in places where you can't get along at all if you don't speak at least 5 or 6 languages. As it is I only learned 3 languages and 2 of them were so little used most of my life, that by my age now, I can barely converse anymore. But at least I make an effort by watching & listening to foreign language television programs to keep my mind and ears open to some extent.
Rune Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #14
Rune

Many people here, included myself, can not speak many languages. I can only speak norwegian, english and some german. Danish and swedish are very similar to norwegian, so we can just speak norwegian to the danes and swedes.

But, when travelling, language can really be a problem. But somehow we manage one way or another. I was in Paris for weeks, and almost nobody there could speak english, and I can't speak or understand a single word french. But we managed to communicate in a way after all. But it was problematic.

Some people can speak many languages. But that is often languages in the same group. For example french, italian and spanish. Or german, dutch and norwegian. But few norwegians can speak languages in different groups, like finnish and french. Well, it is not that uncommon to speak both french and german, for example.

But in general, when people learn foreign languages, that is only the big ones, like french, italian, spanish and german. Few, if any, have learned hungarian, polish, finnish and/or albanian and such smaller languages. And foreigners can not a word norwegian, unless they are forced to when they settle down here.

It can be exotic with all these languages we are surroundet with. But it is most a huge problem when travelling or doing business with other countries. Or the most important for most people, when googling the internet. On the other hand, if everybody spoke the same language, maybe the diversity will disappear.

When I see TV or videos from the US, it appears to me that everything is the same absolutely everywhere. Not strange since it is just one biig country. Here it is like totally different worlds from country to country. Even Sweden is different from Norway, but not like another world. So travel can be fun, a huge lot of extremely different countries in an area not bigger than the US. And we learn a lot about how people live in other places, both good and bad. Some places it is not fun to see people struggling. Like seeing all the homeless in London, as I did in 1995. Maybe it has changed by now. Or seeing on TV Greece going down economically. So it is both advantages and disadvantages of being together in a lot of different worlds, different cultures, different laws and different economies. Sometimes, it would be better that everybody was more equal, so that nobody had to struggle more than others.

Now Norway is among the richest countries in Europe. But people do struggle here as well, for sure. We have inequality and some are very poor. Quite many actually. And I definately have been poor, and still am, but not as bad as before. Still it is better here than in many countries. But it is moving in the wrong direction - more and more inequality. It is not that long ago that Norway were the poorest country in Europe. I have heard that Norway and Ireland were the two poorest. That's why there is so many american-norwegians and american-irish in the US. They escaped the poverty. And people were unbelieavably poor. They had absolutely nothing at all apart from their own hands. So they made everything they needed. Very understandable that they went to America, knowing that they most likely could not ever come back.

What I definately not like about Europe, is that racism is very widespread. Even though we are used to meet people from other countries that speak other languages all the time, and people travel amoung countries very often. But still, way far too much racism. I imagine it is not like that in America. So racism bothers me a lot, and it is so widespread that it is everywhere. It makes me sick, actually. I imagine that Norway is one of the most racist countries out there. Or at least I hope it's not worse in other countries. I feel that it can't be worse than here. But who knows?

What I really want to do some day, is to travel to the US. Now I can't afford it. But some day I will. I am a little bit afraid of all those waving with guns there, but I most likely will survive the holiday, hopefully. I want to go not to the big cities, but to the countryside and small towns. I don't know why. In the places where tornadoes are, such places I want to see. Visit a fast food drive-in restaurant and buy handmade soaps at markets. And definately go to Walmart. I rather prefer that than seeing Hollywood. I think I have the wrong impression of Hollywood, by the way. We have a reality TV show here called Swedish Hollywood Housewifes. Oh my God! They are so stupid and weird, it is unbelieavable! So I really enjoy seeing that program, really fun. And I imagine Hollywood full of those type of freaky ladies with big duck lips and so bleached hair that it almost falls off. So I'm more attracted to tornadoes - and Walmart