Soap bar for babies and kids

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enny

Reaction score
I have 2 kids and my brother has a baby and a 7 years old daughter and I wish to make CP soap that is kind with their sensible skin. What oils do I use? and EO's?

For children and babies, I wouldn't use fragrance or color at all. I'd make something with lots of olive oil, some avocado, and throw in some oatmeal ground to a fine powder, and some buttermilk or goat's milk. If you want to make it appealing to children, instead of fragrance or color, I'd use a cute mold, instead.

I'm sure it's mentioned in those posts, but I'll mention it anyway. CP soap is not recommended for babies. You're better off with a gentle baby wash since babies have very sensitive skin.

For children, it's good to remember that CP is a bit stingier than regular "soap" sydnet bars if it gets into eyes. Ask me how I know....

Outright, I'm against soaps with EO's being used on young children and babies. Lavender may be among the safest but it is dangerous enough to relax a youngin too much (think slower heart rate). As far as scent goes for the kiddies, leave it unscented unless you use scented things for their clothes and what not, then you would be safer with FOs used at their lightest recommended usage.

Snappy Llama has a point about CP soap and babies. Even for children, I'd be careful as far as energy goes. Bastiles are a great way to go in my opinion but if you must use coconut oil, I would cap it at 10% of your soap.

Sub. part of olive oil with avocado oil

Is it a good idea to substitute about 10% of the olive oil with avocado oil for better moisturising quality?

I make a lard and goat's milk soap for kiddos. I don't use FOs, or EOs in baby soaps.

{rant} EOs are NOT automatically safer than FOs because they are theoretically more natural! EOs are highly concentrated, and not nearly as carefully regulated as FOs are. {end of rant}

I use FOs in older kid's soaps, but I always use a low percentage.

Remember, soap is a wash off product. It does not moisturize, it cleans. It just leaves less or more skin oils behind. Coconut, palm and olive oils are all highly cleansing -- and possibly more "drying" than some other oils.

If nut oils are not a problem, almond oil is nice, as is rice bran oil. I love avocado oil straight out of the shower in the winter.

Personally, I find olive oil soap very drying. YMMV.

~HoneyLady~

Commercially available soaps that are labeled for babies and young children list Lard , Coconut or Palm as the oils used . No flavors and they do use a little colorant.

I would make a high lard bar with a little CO and a touch of castor. Maybe even toss in some OO or rice bran oil just for conditioning if you're real worried. Milk(s) would also be nice in that type of soap.

Thanks to all! My idea was to use only vegetable oils. Here people is considering that soaps made with animal fats are low and cheap quality. I was thinking to make a gentle soap with chamomile infused olive oil, some castor oil, some CO, a little avocado oil, and substitute the water with carrot juice or chamomile tea, and add a bit of chamomile essential oil. But if everyone is suggesting to leave out EO's, I will leave it out.

Thanks to all! My idea was to use only vegetable oils. Here people is considering that soaps made with animal fats are low and cheap quality. I was thinking to make a gentle soap with chamomile infused olive oil, some castor oil, some CO, a little avocado oil, and substitute the water with carrot juice or chamomile tea, and add a bit of chamomile essential oil. But if everyone is suggesting to leave out EO's, I will leave it out.

They don't know what they are missing. Animal fats in soaps surpass (in a sense) 100% veggie soaps since they have similar qualities to palm but is generally less expensive and more abundant (in the US at least). You also tend not to get that waxy feel from animal fats vs when you use a lot of palm oil in your soap. That's not to say they don't have their drawbacks. Some people have a DOS problem with high amounts of animal fats but I can't tell you for a fact how.

Well, good that you decided what to do. Do observe the carrot juice batch if you make it; the sugar in it may affect the soap.

I think that you can educate some of your friends, and even yourself. I think even the vegetarian soapers here acknowledge that lard is one of the best soaping oils that one can find.

I'm now not so sure about babies and EOs - we all know that Europe is very strict with the rules around what you can sell for use on the skin, but here people swear by an oil with EOs that you run on to the cheeks of babies when they are teething. It is sold for that purpose and has been approved for such use. I was more than a little astonished, to say the least. Maybe the amounts are very low indeed? Very likely the case, and would be nowhere near enough for a soap scent. But I thought it would be an interesting titbit (yes, the word has 3 t's, not a d, my American friends!) for us all to think about.

But I thought it would be an interesting titbit (yes, the word has 3 t's, not a d, my American friends!) for us all to think about.

The OED (Oxford English Dictionary says either spelling is correct:

tit-bit | tid-bit, n.
View as: Outline |Full entryKeywords: On |OffQuotations: Show all |Hide all
Pronunciation: titbit#_gb_1.mp3 /ˈtɪtˌbɪt/ tidbit#_gb_1.mp3 /ˈtɪdˌbɪt/
Frequency (in current use):
Etymology: In 17th cent., tyd bit , tid-bit , < tid adj. + bit n.1; later also tit-bit ... (Show More)

Thesaurus »

a. A small and delicate or appetizing piece of food; a toothsome morsel, delicacy, bonne bouche.

α.
a1641 J. Smyth Berkeley MSS (1885) III. 25 A tyd bit, i.e. a speciall morsell reserved to eat at last.
1701 T. Gataker Prelim. Disc. 16 in J. Collier tr. Marcus Aurelius Conversat. with Himself To be always loading the Table, and eating of tid-Bits.
1755 Connoisseur No. 87. (1774) III. 123 For fear any tid-bit should be snapped up before him, he snatches at it..greedily.
1834 L. Ritchie Wanderings by Seine 185 The sturgeons, the finest salmons, and other tid-bits of the fishery.
1895 Outing 26 436/2 [The coon] locating many a tid-bit by means of his sharp nose and bright eyes.
1906 U. Sinclair Jungle xiv. 162 Things..went into the sausages in comparison with which a poisoned rat was a tidbit.
1968 Globe & Mail (Toronto) 17 Feb. 28 An unusually good selection of hot and cold tid bits.
β.
1694 P. A. Motteux tr. Rabelais Pantagruel's Voy.: 4th Bk. Wks. iv. xlvi, He promis'd double Pay..to any one that should bring him such a Tit-bit piping-hot.
1727 J. Arbuthnot John Bull Postscr. in Swift et al. Misc. II. 210 How John pamper'd Esquire South with Tit-bits, till he grew wanton.
1861 J. Pycroft Agony Point (1862) 363 To see..such tarts and tit-bits.
1866 Trollope Belton Estate III. iii. 79 No more tit-bits of hashed chicken specially picked out for her.
(Hide quotations)

Thesaurus »

b. fig.; spec. a brief and isolated interesting item of news or information; hence in pl., name of a periodical consisting of such items.

α.
1743 H. Fielding Eurydice in Misc. II. 264 My Farce is an Oglio of Tid-Bits.
a1777 S. Foote Capuchin (1778) iii. 130 A fine girl, as I live! too nice a tid-bit for an apprentice.
1883 C. Reade in Harper's Mag. June 94/1 He furnished me..several tidbits that figure in my printed works.
1941 W. H. Auden New Year Let. i. 26 Add his small tid-bit to the rest.
1976 Time 27 Dec. 49/3 There were enough tidbits of good news last week to soothe the fears of some Ford Administration economists.
β.
1708 Brit. Apollo No. 40. 2/2 Many of them [women] are Tit Bits.
1814 Last Act Prol., in J. Galt New Brit. Theatre II. 361 A new tit bit fresh from some author's brain.
1887 T. A. Trollope What I Remember II. vi. 100 During the singing of the well-known tit-bits of any opera.
(Hide quotations)

Thesaurus »

c. attrib.

1767 A. Campbell Lexiphanes 54 We expedited ambassadors with plenary powers to procure us buttered buns,..tart tit-bit tartlets.
1820 T. Mitchell tr. Aristophanes Knights in tr. Aristophanes Comedies I. 167 Such dainty little schemes—such tit-bit thoughts.
1900 Jrnl. School Geogr. (U.S.) June 240 The danger..is that it should lead to the application of the tit-bits method to the teaching of geography.
(Hide quotations)

Derivatives

tit-ˈbitical adj. = tit-bitty adj.

1890 Speaker 5 Apr. 369/1 Those journalistic abortions of the tit-bitical kind..now so common.
(Hide quotations)

Categories »

ˈtit-ˌbitty adj. (nonce-wds.) of the nature of, consisting or full of tit-bits.

1887 E. Gurney Tertium Quid II. 24 He is really the tit-bittiest of composers.
1899 J. G. Millais Life & Lett. Sir J. E. Millais I. iii. 81 Every tit-bitty paper..repeated the tale.

http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/202556?redirectedFrom=titbit#eid

They don't know what they are missing. Animal fats in soaps surpass (in a sense) 100% veggie soaps since they have similar qualities to palm but is generally less expensive and more abundant (in the US at least). You also tend not to get that waxy feel from animal fats vs when you use a lot of palm oil in your soap. That's not to say they don't have their drawbacks. Some people have a DOS problem with high amounts of animal fats but I can't tell you for a fact how.

Well, good that you decided what to do. Do observe the carrot juice batch if you make it; the sugar in it may affect the soap.

Here the same, pork fat is very cheap, almost everyone in the country side grows pigs, at least one, for this reason cosmetics made with fats are considered cheap and worthless.

The carrot juice may change the colour of the soap to brown, no? I haven't think about that.

I think that you can educate some of your friends, and even yourself. I think even the vegetarian soapers here acknowledge that lard is one of the best soaping oils that one can find.

I'm now not so sure about babies and EOs - we all know that Europe is very strict with the rules around what you can sell for use on the skin, but here people swear by an oil with EOs that you run on to the cheeks of babies when they are teething. It is sold for that purpose and has been approved for such use. I was more than a little astonished, to say the least. Maybe the amounts are very low indeed? Very likely the case, and would be nowhere near enough for a soap scent. But I thought it would be an interesting titbit (yes, the word has 3 t's, not a d, my American friends!) for us all to think about.

I'm not a chemist nor a pharmacist but my opinion is chamomile oil in low amounts in soaps will don't hurt, having in mind that soaps aren't for babies younger then 6 months.

Take a look to the products of this Canadian brand( I hope is not a problem to include an external link):

http://www.nezzanaturals.com/product/baby-shampoo-body-wash/

they are using a lot of essential oils.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im sorry but chamomile EO would be way too pricey for me to use in a batch of CP soap - it's $114 for 2 ounces at Camden Grey!

And while you can infuse your oils in chamomile, there's no knowledge about anything beneficial surviving the soap process, and it will probably turn brown. Give it a try and see.

That recipe you linked to is using hydrosols and distillates, and further down some EO's. But it's a syndet, and would need a fraction of what CP soap needs in terms of EO.

I'll stick to tidbit, thank you. :)

I make a really nice kiddie soap for my 7yo using lard, rice bran, avocado, castor, and goats milk. I don't use ANY coconut oil and this soap has a rich, creamy lather that is very gentle. My kiddo tolerates FO with no problems now but I also make this unscented/uncolored and it is a beautiful yellowish color with a sweetish, goat milky scent. I do use cute animal molds just to make it fun. This is also the soap I use when my skin is really dry.

Here are a couple of pics. The yellowish one is the unscented/uncolored version, the purple one is Lavender/Chamomile.

IMG_5486.jpg

IMG_5875.jpg

I make a really nice kiddie soap for my 7yo using lard, rice bran, avocado, castor, and goats milk. I don't use ANY coconut oil and this soap has a rich, creamy lather that is very gentle. My kiddo tolerates FO with no problems now but I also make this unscented/uncolored and it is a beautiful yellowish color with a sweetish, goat milky scent. I do use cute animal molds just to make it fun. This is also the soap I use when my skin is really dry.

Here are a couple of pics. The yellowish one is the unscented/uncolored version, the purple one is Lavender/Chamomile.

Both of those soaps would make my kiddo happy. they're too cute.

Suupercute soaps!!:)

Back